Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sighted in on turkey
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:03 pm 
Walleye Master

This season is special for me as it's the first one for my son to go out on his own. I finally get my gun back now as he can carry his own. I mounted the scope back on my shotgun this weekend and sighted in the pattern. I've been seeing quite a few gobblers strutting their stuff in the fields lately. One more week to go...

Post subject: Re: Sighted in on turkey
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:21 pm 
Walleye

can't wait either. Just got a new choke for my 20ga (pure gold .570) and patterned it yesterday with heavy13. Was blown away, 32 pellets in the head and neck at 40yds 8O . lots of birds struttin around here also. Watched a couple strut around and put on a show for us while yote hunting last saturday, only six more sleeps 8)

RED

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Can't wait. The SX3 is patterned and all polished up. Calls conditioned & singing sweet. The bird just across the bay seems to like them. Been talking to him every morning at 6:10. No one hunts over there so I'm not making him call wise and messing up someone elses hunt. Good luck out there guys.

Adventure: Hope your son nails one on his first year solo.

Bruce

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:35 am 
Walleye

Are the Turkey out your way just strutting or are they gobbling to your call.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:04 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Last week he was gobbling pretty hard, but with the cooler temps over the past few days he's been more subdued. Hope we get some warmer temps for next week, otherwise it might be tough. I find the birds respond much better when the daytime highs are in the double digits and overnight lows don't get around the freezing range. Although I've got a few opening day birds over the years I find the hunting better a week or two later.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 pm 
Walleye Master

I find them more responsive a few weeks later as well. I always figured the hens were nested down by then and the toms are more willing to come to a call as they're not already tied down with the hens.
Has anyone ever found a good way to draw them away from the hens first thing in the morning? I always wondered what it would take to break them away from the girls. I've tried everything over the years and so far all I've found is patience and wait until later in the morning. Or go find a Tom that isn't with the girls already.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:40 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I've found it's pretty hard to pull them off the hens. I try to get as close to the roost area as I dare and start calling early. Try to get them comming before the hens hit the ground. Sometimes if you have multiple hunters calling, and sound like a group of hens they will get greedy and come take a look. Other than that it's like you said, kick back and relax for a while till that gobbler is ready for round 2.

Another thing I'll try is if I get two birds that answer at first light and they are separated by a distance is to try and get between them. The boss gobbler will probably do his normal thing and settle down with the hens for a while, but that subordinate bird will sometimes try to sneek in and check out the "new girl" thats not with the big tom. Got one this way about three years ago. He had a busted middle toe on one foot and most of his fan tattered from the beating he took from the big tom. Still was looking for a little tail, although he came in pretty cautious. Sure tasted good.

Getting pretty cranked up about monday now.

Shoot straight and stay safe,

Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 pm 
Walleye

Coming home through the back roads of Thomasburg on wednesday and stopped to watch a field with 11 hens and a BIG TOM behind them! LUCKY BASTARD!!!! LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:58 am 
Walleye Master

solution is pretty easy, but saying that is anything ever all that easy when it comes to hunting. you want the tom your all geared up for the tom so your working the tom......... WRONG!! .... call the Hen the tom will follow....... she yelps you yelp, she cuts you cut. what ever she does you do and she will come in like she is on a string sometimes and the Tom will be bringing up the rear.... Ive killed many birds this way............ another thing most people will do is leave because he isnt gobbling.. where the heck you think he is going? he is going no place quick so you just have to wait him out a bit........ you guys have it easy. all day hunting, here in NY we can only hunt til Noon..... wish I had a dime for every bird ive had to walk away from because the Noon whistle rings lol aaah there is always tomorrow lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:41 pm 
Walleye Master

Don't worry, we know what it's like to have the noon time cut off. It's only been the last few years for us we can hunt until 7:00. I've had to walk away from them before at noon as well. I find the noon and early afternoon not as productive anyway, but they do start to strut their stuff again by mid-late afternoon and have called a couple in now on the later afternoon hunt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

Got the daughters 20 gauge all dialed in with the new red-dot , Jellyhead choke and Kent Diamond shot today.Put the blind up last Monday.Just need a turkey to complete a good day Monday morning.Daughters first year of being able to shoot one and not just keep me company.Would love to get her at least a good shot at one.The rest is up to her.Good luck all.

banner ad