Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Tagged out on a good one
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

Well we hit the turkey woods this morning , while everyone was out chasing mister walleye around the bay. My youngest son who is 7 really wanted to go with me and my older son which is 10 hunting this morning. So the day started at 3 : 45 with the wake up shake to both the kids and out the door by 4 : 05 right on time. We arrived at our farm we have permission to hunt and began the 30 minute walk to the back of the farm where all the cute turkey girls hang out. We got set up and waited for the boys to tell us where they spent the night. It must have been a rough night with the girls because no one wanted to speak first. Finally way off in the distance we heard one gobble. Oh boy this could be a long day with no close birds near by. So we sat tight and I watched as the boys took turns taking napes and who ever was not sleeping the other two of us would make fun of how they were snoring or making weird noises. After about an hour of that we heard the turkeys comming closer. So I gave a call but no response. There is a lot of hunting pressure on sourounding farms so you know what that means , to little calling is to much calling. So every 15 minutes I would give one series of calls and that was it. At one point I thought maybe I could close my eyes as well for a few minutes when I looked at my team and they are both asleep. I guess I better pass on the nap for now. I just had a stretch and then all of a sudden in the same field we were in ....a gobble. I thought ok you know you want to call to him right now but do not. Man that is hard to do. LOL. So I waited for another fifteen minutes and gave my sexiest yelps with a little cut at the end followed by some soft purrs on the mouth call. And we just sat there , I knew he heard it and after about 10 minutes or so I could hear the sweet sound of SPITT DRUMMMMM. SPITT DRUMMMMMM. I said to the boys here he comes to keep an eye out for him. And then all of a sudden not 15 yards away he was there staring right where the hen turkey should be. Next thing I know the number 6's are on the way and big bird down. He was a dandy with a 9 1/4 inch beard and 1 inch spurs and he weighed in at 21.8 pounds. Now the hard part was walking him back with him over the shoulder for the 1 . 5 KM walk back to the truck. Another good day in the woods with my boy's and memories for a lifetime and them both asking when we can do it all again. I love it. Turns out my youngest son is a not bad camera man either. LOL

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:46 pm 
Walleye Master

Congrats on a double year with your boys Catcher. What a great way to end the year for you guys.

I was out with my oldest son today as well and he got to have his first conversation with a Tom this morning but couldn't talk him over. He gained some good experience though and we got to spend some quality time together.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:04 am 
Walleye

Both boys out this time, well done, father of the year :D :D I bet they had a riot, that close and to hear the drumming too. Coolest sound in the woods in my opinion. Heck of a bird, and ya got it done before all the bugs start coming out. WTG

RED

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

banner ad
banner ad