banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Trail Cam Pics 2011
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:47 pm 
Walleye

awesome pics guys.. here is a few of my favs from my cams so far this yr. I am actually just getting into scouting out areas, next yr I wil be hunting.. and next weekend i am planning on getting a PSE Brute bow. So i am excited.lol

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:50 pm 
Walleye

hay nature nut that simmons cam you have takes great pics, hope to see more, where did you get it? how good is at night?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:19 pm 
Walleye

I actually got it at Canadian Tire... I bought a two pack, and a single pack one.. the single has more mega pixels and you can use either 4 AA or 4 CC batteries.. the ones from the two pack are only 4 CC battery operated... the night pics quality is good in my opinion.. but i am just starting out in this so i am sure others will think its crap compared to some cams I have never seen or even heard of yet. I attached a night pic of a deer that was too close to cam but its the only one I have so far of night on that cam.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:41 pm 
Walleye

right on, i thought the picture was nice and clear, might have to try a few, have you tryed it with the AA batteries? does it last long? i bought the stealth cam IR last year, i like them because you can change from 3 to 5 to 8 mega bite pics. its great because you set them up for either lots of pics or clear pics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:26 pm 
Walleye

this is only my first season with the Simmons and the Stealth Cam, so not sure if it lasts longer with the AA yet, but I also have a bushnell which i dont like so much now, its got a flash no IR, and ya gotta remember the passcode to use it.lol.. then I have a tasco which I also bought last yr, its kinda small and its an ok cam with IR, this is very addictive.. last yr I had only the two cams, now i am up to six.lol. Eventually Id like to try one of them ones that send the pics to the website for you to see it instead of having to drive all the way to the woods and take the time to hike in and switch cards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:12 pm 
Walleye Fry

I will throw my two cents in. IR is good, but the flash works just fine. Never seemed to bother any of the deer i hunt. i only use the IR in places where others might stumble upon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:26 pm 
Walleye

i ve got some pics where the flash caused the deer to look at the camera.. but they still seem to have stuck around.. I only have one with a flash and when I put it out recently I actually put it in the area I was hoping nobody would stumble upon, the IR cams have gotten lots of pics of other hunters, one even had a timmies cup and bagel and the dude put the wrapper wedged between the camera and the tree.. from what I have read.. bringing in coffee is a bad idea, best to just bring bottled water... any opinons on that from anyone? I hate to sound stupid asking such a ? but i am new at this and just wanna get the best upper hand as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:59 pm 
Walleye

No problem bringing in a coffee, but better in a thermos! That way you know your cup comes back out with you! Deer are curious critters. I once lit a fire starter candle and had a big buck come walking out with his nose up in the air like he was on a doe in heat! I watched him for about 10 minutes while he tried to figure out the scent off that candle! He is now on my wall! LOL. It is the human scent that spooks them, my opinion anyway. I have heard off guy's sparking up a cigar or a joint and setting it on a rock beside them just to kill the human scent and they get a deer everytime. Nothing wrong with starting a little fire too if your cold. Just make sure you put it out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:44 pm 
Walleye Fry

in my travels i have had several deer come in down wind of me and looking hard. but as long as i sat still they didnt spook. now i havent been hunting for terribly long, only 9 years but i have taken an average of two deer a year. i mean i have started to use a little cover scent. but up until now i have never used anything, just tried to avoid any strong scents like deodorants, or cologne. i use deodorant just unscented. my dad has told me tons of stories about my grandfather lighting fires, and smoking his pipe while on his watch and shooting a good many deer. so bottom line i guess is like u say, deer are very curious and as long as nothing is way out of the ordinary for them they probably wont mind too much.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:22 pm 
Walleye Master

I know a few guys who said they had to butt their cigarette out or pull their pants up after watering a tree to shoot a deer. But then I've also seen deer smell my tracks from 3 hours earlier and instantly bolt the other way. I've also seen them stare at me, pound the ground, peek around trees and never run until the second the wind shifts and they catch scent.
I still try to err on the side of no human scent, but sometimes I think no matter what you do, breathing included, they will react differently in any given situation. One thing is certain, they have an incredible sense of smell.

As for pics, I have the camera set to take a picture every 15 seconds. I find the bucks come in, and are gone within 1 minute usually the last pic it is staring at the camera and gone. It is an IR camera and makes a very quiet low pitched click when a picture is taken. The does will come right up to the camera, say hi and stick around for 15-20 minutes posing for the camera.
Here's few of the locals over the last couple of days....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:23 am 
Walleye Master

Geez, I said that about the bucks and yesterday this guy posed for me in the afternoon...