banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:51 pm 
Walleye

Have been out 2 times and have only managed 9 geese for our group of 4 hunters. Doesn't seem to be as many geese around as there were last early season. Im wondering if the warmer weather hasn't keep some of the early visitors back, or that with all the warmth they just aren't flying. We are hunting over water in areas we have always done well in. Just wondering how everyone else is making out and if anyone is experiencing the same lack of geese.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:18 pm 
Walleye Master

I've been out a few times and saw a bunch, but so did a couple of other guys who kept shooting at them from 150 yards away. Needless to say they've spooked off every flock so far. I shook my head in disbelief. You'd think people would know the limitations of a shotgun by now. Part of the hunter education should be to teach judging distances. A honking black dot in the sky is not under 50 yards... Apparently I'm going to have to go over and nicely explain this to them.
Discouraged from the usual spot, I went to a different area tonight and talking to local cottagers, they said there weren't as many geese around as usual. They were right. I never saw a goose.
Ducks sure looked promising though. I couldn't have counted the ducks I saw if I had tried. They just kept coming in by the flockful. It made me feel bad I'll miss opening day this year for the first time, but then I remembered I'll be bowhunting Bullwinkle instead so I'm sure I'll get over it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 am 
Walleye

I feel your pain adventure as we had the same sort of thing happen this year. Last year we had a group of a couple guys who decided to set up shop a few hundred yards from our traditional spot and blast at everything that they could see. We could see the geese coming in over the trees and these guys were blasting away at them. Approx 80-100yds in the air. Now this year i went to go to my blind and the same guys from last year, after watching birds cup into my spread, were sitting in it!!! Very discouraging as we have had this spot to ourselves for years and now its a footrace to get there and even if i do beat them they go a couple hundred yards away and sky blast. Its hard to explain anything to these kind of people as they are clearly ignorant. I believe these people were doing this intentionally after watching geese fly past them and land in my spread. They seemed to have the mentality of "if they aren't going to come to us you aren't getting them either". Very discouraging to have to find a new spot to hunt due to someones lack of respect and ethics.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:35 am 
Walleye Angler

Were abouts are you hunting? It all depends on where there food supplies are, this year there are a lot of fields that never got planted or where planted really late. There are only limited amount of oats and wheat this year it seems, we have been lucky our permissions are a combination of grain, beans, and corn. We got 13 opener am and 10 in the pm and then another 10 saturday am. We have found that usining them to make our own sausages has turned out really good!
We probably would have had more but know matter how well you plan how come it seams that just as you pull the trigger someone else has shot the same bird and your shot is wasted lol team work I guess.

good luck to all, and those of you that are shooting for the stars grow up

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:20 pm 
Walleye

Im glad to hear someone has been having some success. I do not have permission on many fields and the ones i do are planted with soy :( . We also make all of ours into sausage and I have found that's the way I like it best. Jerky is also very good!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:34 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice going. The one wheat field where I get permission isn't getting any geese on it for whatever reason this year. They all seem to be heading to other fields the other direction. I'm waiting for the corn to get cut. The owner said should be in about a week or so.
Hopefully then I'll be enjoying some sausage as well. I also find they make a great stir fry.

banner ad