Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:28 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Just wondering if it's possible to hunt at any of these places for ducks and geese. Any info on either would be appreciated. I am having trouble finding property to hunt on since I moved here, and it's too far north for any crown land. I don't mind paying to get in a park if it's 60 minutes from the Glenora Ferry. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:52 pm 
Walleye

Point Petre is a good place to go. No charge. Even better when the weather gets really cold!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:14 pm 
Walleye

Point Petre', used to be an absolute amazing waterfowl place back in the hey day of lake ont. blue bills. We used to drive from Frankford to the point every sat. morning starting the weekend after deer closed. Park your vehicle and pick a spot on the rocky shoreline. The empty shell casings used to carpet the shoreline. Usedto get a mixed bag from bluebills to canvasbacks with the odd mallard thrown in. Gull pond just in behind the point would draw mallards untill freeze up. Have not hunted there in years but may have to give it a whirl now that my son will have his hunting liscence after this weekend. It used to be really good there but not sure with the decline of the bluebills on the lake. Let me know how ya make out if ya go.................

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:02 am 
Walleye Master

have you checked out beaver medows ? its close to eastlake also a conservation area with duck blinds already in place im not a bird hunter but ive visited the place and have checked out a few of the blinds there looks like it would be a quick and easy place to try anyways ... grizz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:02 pm 
Minnow

i hunt camden many times during the fall.... it is good early season and dwindles out till november when the northerns come down. right now you will get ring bills, teal, mallards, blacks and pintails... and yes even geese. the geese there now are resident so they are fairly gun/call shy after being shot at so much.... a couple more weeks and you'll get the northern geese coming down and they are green to the lake.... easier to decoy and call into the blinds..

be carefull though.. not all blinds are built.. just park at the blind # you want to hunt and find it out on the water... lots of places to get the boat swamped the lake has lots of shallow mud flats.

pm me for more info... maybe we can get out and give my dog another workout.

was out there yesturday and got 1 goose (stupid local) and 3 pintails, a teal, black and a couple mallards... (with a friend). its amazing how the dog loves a good workout..

jason

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:23 pm 
Goby

Careful man isn't Camden lake a goose sanctuary....I know it use to be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:52 pm 
Minnow

Doc

not any more..

they changed it about 4 years ago... due to the damage the geese were doing to the area farmers crops..

jason

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:47 am 
Goby

Hey Jason,

Thanks man, thats good to know. It has been a while since I hunted there.

have a good season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:32 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Hunted Beaver Meadows this morning, not a single duck flying. Flushed 3 grouse walking to the blinds, but I was not dressed in orange, so I didn't shoot. Didn't actually see any blinds, just one that looked really runned down, and probably unsafe to stand in.

Anyways, took a drive over to Point Peter. I was expecting the road to run along side the lake. Do you just turn in any of those dirt roads on the right (there is some military thing on the left), and hunt anywhere on the shoreline?? That shoreline is actually soup harbour, is it not?? Thanks for everyone's help!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:54 pm 
Walleye Fry

Camden Lake is a provincial hunting area. All the same migratory bird regulations apply to the area as the rest of the province with 2 exceptions:

1. You can hunt Camden lake on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturdays only.

2. There are posted numbers in the parking lot. You must park in front of a number and hunt within 25 feet of the corresponding post in the lake (there is a rough map at the gate, here's the photo).

You may hunt ducks and geese (historically this was a goose reserve).

Many stakes have a permanent blind, some have seen better days, and some are in great shape.

Camden can be hot or cold. There are typically lots of birds in the general area. Both ends of the lake are provincial sanctuaries and birds figure that out quickly. When new birds show up, it can make for great shooting. The other downside is that you are tied to one location. If birds are using a different part of the lake you can't just pick up and move, you must move your vehicle as well. But if there are a few hunters out and birds are moving around you can have great hunts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:21 pm 
Walleye Master

Great information!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:00 pm 
Goby

Are motor boats aloud at camden lake? if so how deep is it ? do you need a mud motor ? anre blinds marked with reflective # sighns ? not from the area but looking into hunting here any information is greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:49 am 
Walleye Master

The lake is shallow everywhere and a mud motor, while not necessary would be a nice addition in case you got into a very shallow area (of which there are many). Stay in open water and you are usually ok. Watch for any sign of weed.
I've only hunted it in the afternoon and finding stakes was relatively easy in the light. I'm not sure if the numbers are reflectors or not. Hopefully someone knows.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:26 pm 
Jumbo Perch

The Blind Markers are on Yellow boards and stakes maybe 8 Feet High but not reflective. As Adventure said the stakes are not to bad to find in the daylight, I've never looked for them in the morning either.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:40 pm 
Goby

has anyone been to blinds #5 #4 #3 or #2 this year? was wondering if its deep enough on far side to take a 14 foot alluminum v hull boat too one of theese blinds. i have never been to this lake so any information on what blinds u can get too and what blinds are in good shape would be greatly appreciated .

thank you cheers

banner ad