banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:28 pm 
Walleye Master

I haven't been able to get out bowhunting for deer this year since I got back from moose hunting and I'm starting to go crazy trying to get out. I've seen a few scrapes already and I'm getting pictures of a small 8 pointer in my backyard (see trail cam thread).

I've been waiting to see if anyone has got one yet. Any stories yet?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:45 pm 
Walleye Fry

i got out this morning. It was a great morning to be out. Still wet out, so I was able to sneak in nice and quiet this morning around 645.

Sat in my blind and did a little rattling and let out some doe bleats. About an hour and half into my hunt, I hear a buck snorting. Real loud, and maybe 30 yards away...

Never got a visual...I guess he winded me and snuck off!

Still a cool experience tho! Until next time....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:29 pm 
Walleye Master

my guess is you were snorted by a doe. they are usually the ones who blow the alarm where a buck 99% of the time will just sneak off quietly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:42 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Got out yesterday for the day. Hunting an area where I found a big shed while turkey hunting this spring.

Attachment:
Shed2.JPG

Put the tree stand up about a month ago and was there last sunday to set up a mock scrape. Found a big deer rub on a cedar about 60 yards east from the stand then.

Wind was perfect N to NE and I was hopeing the colder weather would have the bucks moving. In the stand by 7am and as it gets lighter I can see another rub 30 yards to my west, just beyond the mock scrape. My hopes were high. Spent a long day in the stand, except for 1/2 hour lunch break taken downwind by the edge of the pond. At 6pm the sounds of a deer slowly approaching & feeding down through the timber are heard. The doe worked her way in, checked the mock scrape and fed around the stand for 1/2 hour before leaving as the dark settled in. I was sure I heard another deer approach not long after she did, and she kept looking in that direction, but it never showed itself.

That last half hour of the hunt made the cold day in the tree worth it. Watching her feed around and no more than 10 yards from the stand at one point had me all warmed up again. I started my walk out in the dark, wondering if maybe next time I'll get to see her travelling companion.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad