Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:57 pm 
Walleye

next fall will be my first yr hunting deer with a bow, I would really like to buy good quality gear...I have almost everything I need except one thing i am stuck on.. good quality mechanical broad heads.. can someone suggest some please? I was at bass pro today spending my gift cards :D and seen some but wasn't sure which would be the best kind.. thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:28 pm 
Walleye Fry

All comes down to personal preference. I have tried a few and had varying experiences. So far my best has been with rage. they are expensive but i have found them to perform well..... but you have to remember everyone has different experiences. i tend to like mechanical broadheads that deploy from the front as oppose to the ones that fold open. again, this comes from a bad experience. only way you will find out what you like is by trying. the nice part about the rage is you get a practice head with them. anyways good luck and happy hunting!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:17 pm 
Walleye Master

My 2 cents is this:

Over the last 25 years, I've tried almost every broadhead out there and read a million threads and articles on broadheads. Different broadheads will shoot differently with different archers with different bows and different set-ups. There are tests out there where they shoot them through plywood and steel drums etc etc... The main thing for hunting, bar nothing is a broadhead must be strong, sharp, and well placed. That means going through soft rib bones, not hard shoulder and leg bones. Nothing else matters.

But I have to ask why you are only looking at mechanicals? I seriously considered taking the Rage for my moose hunt this year, but did not have 100% confidence in mechanical broadheads. Any mechanical broadhead. I went with a strong, cut on impact fixed blade broadhead that I knew was 100% consistent from my bow. It was one of the best decisions I made for that trip.

From all the heads I've tested, Wasp hammers and G5 strikers have my 100% confidence and both have taken game consisently for me. I know others who swear by Muzzy and Thunderhead etc...

Straight to your question, I put the Rage 2 blade on my arrow for deer hunting. Strictly for long term testing for myself. Grim Reapers and Spitfires get good reviews. I'm sure others will add more. Mechanicals do shoot like field points, but I have had my mis-fortunes with them over the years.

The best broadhead (mechanical or fixed blade) is the one you are confident in that is sharp, flies accurately and consistently from your bow. The rest is up to you to put it where it matters.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:41 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the replies guys, I greatly appreciate it. Adventure, i am practicing a lot, and with field points and heard from a guy at work that mechanicals will shoot like field points and the broadheads would be off. So that is why, however I do have a LOT to learn so I may even try broadhead too now after reading your reply. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:50 pm 
Walleye Master

Don't mistake mechanicals shooting like field points means they will hit where your field points do. It means they will group like field points do and are easier to tune. A 1" group with mechanicals or a 2" group with fixed blades makes no difference as long as you are inside the boiler room. You still need to shoot and sight in mechanicals, same as a fixed blade. Granted, it may take a bit more to tune in a fixed blade. But a lot can be learned if you do. If you can't get it tuned, you have already learned a lot. Try a different broadhead, or then go to mechanicals.

Field points are good for practice, developing form and learning to judge distances in the off season. Once I get ready to hunt, the field points go away. Get a good target that is designed for broadheads. Do paper tests and tune it in. Then practice with them. I get 3 arrows and broadheads and replaceable blades. Shoot at a different area of the target with each arrow so you don't hit them. I always find I get a favorite arrow\broadhead after a while. It goes into the number one spot in my quiver with a brand new blades when I go hunting and it is the one I shoot. This way I know my first shot is my best.

If you have the place to do it, one of the best practice shots is when you go out to work first thing in the morning and when you get home. Take the bow out with you and on the way to your truck shoot only one arrow at your target. Resist shooting again if the shot is bad. Make the shot good tomorrow. 98% of the time, that's all you get in the woods. Learn to make that one shot count.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:15 am 
Walleye Fry

ya... u still need to fire them and see where they hit. thats what i like about the rage is that u get a practice tip that doesnt expand but will show you how they will fly. And my personal opinion is i like the 3 blade so that it opens up a nicer hole and not a slot. i have shot a couple deer with both the two blade and the three blade, always behind the shoulder and through ribs. and i have found that the 3 blades give a nicer blood trail. but personal opinion. as for crossbows i always shoot a fixed and i like the thunderheads and strikers. practice and figure out what you like.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:44 pm 
Walleye

look up grim reaper broad heads on you tube,by far the best brodhead i have ever used. i use 1.75 inch cut but u can get 1.25 to 2 inch.no rubber bands and one hell of a hole through a deer.and also good for turkeys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:53 pm 
Walleye

In my opinion what I have found with fixed blade broadheads is that the shorter the profile the better they fly, just for example only, a 100 grain 3 blade thunderhead vs a wasp boss hammer 100 grain 3 blade (both fixed blade). The wasp is a fair bit shorter broadhead. The problem is the longer the broadhead the longer the blades are and the longer blades tend to want to over steer the vanes of your arrow and can be very difficult to tune and you get 3 identicle arrows with 3 identicle broadheads that want to fly 3 not so identicle directions from each other if not tuned properly. This is greatly reduced or eliminated with shorter profile broadheads in my experiance and ive played with not all of them out there but an awful lot of them since 1989. Some good examples of shorter fixed blade broadheads that have shot well for me off top of my head in no particular order are Wasp Boss Hammers and Wasp Boss Bullets, Slick Tricks, G5 Strikers, Interlock, and Muzzy. I prefer fixed blade over mechanicals but thats me ive had a few bad experiances with a few different mechanicals and im not gunna open a can of worms by listing them but if you want my opinions on a few of them you can pm me. I am however currently testing the NAP Bloodrunners and so far they would likely be the mechanical i would choose if i had to use one. One other thing is with fixed blade broadheads that will also help allot for accuracy in tuning is line up your blades of your broadheads with the vanes/fletching on the arrow so they are not fighting eachother steering the arrow and so all your arrows shoot consistantly if they are all lined up blades with vanes/fletching. If you have other questions feel free to post them or pm, there are no such things as silly questions when it comes to cleanly taking animals with bow and arrow.
Good luck and pratcie practice practice :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:51 pm 
Walleye

thank you guys for all the help. I picked up some rage mechanicals yesterday that come with a practice broadhead like IRFERG so i am going to give them a try, so until next fall now its practice practice practice. Again thank you guys.

banner ad