Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Coyotes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:55 am 
Walleye Master

Looked out the bathroom window this morning only to see two coyotes against teh far edge of the woods. Needless to say I finished what I was doing as quickly as possible and proceeded to grab the .270. I got a shot off at 250 yards through the branches of the treeline between us but there was no sign of a hit in the fresh snow.
I do believe the coyotes were engaged in their annual courting ritual as there were tracks all over the field with the two of them side by side.

Post subject: Re: Coyotes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

Horns were not big enough to make that clean one shot kill. (63").

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:58 am 
Walleye Master

I don't know about the horn part, but I think they more horn-y than anything else. Time to get out there after them...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:36 pm 
Walleye Master

Ive done alot of coyote hunting in my years...... its a shame the pelts arnt worth the efforts anymore to hunt them for profits also a reason why the population explosion I guess, it saddens me to think they are being shot and left to lay but i guess drastic times means drastic measures.
Canadians are on a huge disadvantage with no Night hunting ive spent many countless houres in the woods at night at 2 am in the earie darkness calling fox and coyotes on the field edges I need to find myself some good hunting land or i think im gonna go insane lol i think thats the thing i miss most about back home it seems we have much more fredom to hunt day and night lol and would you believe we call coyotes fur bearing animals so we actually have a season on them where we cant just shoot them year around we must utilize our harvest witch means skin and sell the pelts although many now are just shot and left to lay. sad dont you think ? just not as sad and having no rabbits or deer in our woods, i guess thats all lost on greenepeace activests , who know not what they do or know nature needs a ballance, and its hunters more than anyone who wants to see a good ballance in nature .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:00 pm 
Walleye Master

There are a few other things to consider as well. We used to have them come and take our calves at the farm being one of them. The other thing that happened about 20 or so years ago is they stopped the bounty on them. When that happened the population exploded. In that time many got the mange and you would see them running around half hairless. The bunny and grouse population went way down from what it was and then the attacks on dogs started becoming frequent. I personally know of four dogs that were killed while tied up outside people's houses. One being four houses away from my place and a good friend of mine. Another of my past friends shot a coyote through his front screen door that was attacking his dog on the porch of their house. There may be a few guys on here that know of him from the Stockdale area for that incident. I can only imagine there are a lot more I don't know about. We started to hunt them quite often and we would sell the hides. It would pay for the hounds food that used to run them.

They aren't near as bad as they were, at least around here, but there are still quite a lot around. You're right Grizz, I'd like to see that balance kept in check as well so we don't go back to the problems we had 15 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear them light up at night with their yipping and howling. Just not by the dozens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

me and a friend wantedto do some 'bug out' survival camping in the corbyville are..should we be worried about possible hostile coyotes?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:36 pm 
Walleye Master

No. They are not a threat to humans.

There has only been one attack in Ontario which was last year involving a small girl. She was bitten and obviously scared, but otherwise ok.

The problems have been with people's pets left tied up in their yards and mange which slowly kills them. Rabies was an issue many years ago, but I am unaware of anything in recent years.

Go have fun. If you get to hear them, they make quite the racket.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:02 pm 
Walleye Master

unless ur a girl jogging in NB ur good. nothing to be scared of with yotes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:39 am 
Walleye Wisdom

sweet..never had a run in with one and wanted some info is all

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:21 am 
Walleye Master

If you've ever been outside, you've had an encounter with one. You just didn't know it. The coyote knew you were there, but you didn't know he was. And he kept it that way.

banner ad