banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:34 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:49 am 
Walleye Angler

I was looking into the Regs for the extended goose season.
It says the late season ending in March is only for WMUs where there is no sunday gun hunting.
so can anyone tell me is there sunday gun hunting in PEC?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 am 
Walleye Angler

Just found a link for the mnr about it
And it is allowed.
Oh well next year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:05 am 
Walleye Master

I was looking for a place for the late goose season Feb. 25 to March 3, 2012 as well. The only two places I could see open in the Quinte area without Sunday hunting was Brighton and Deseronto township. I'm not sure if there is anywhere in either of those areas that would be worth trying...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:33 pm 
Guppy

I live in gosport 2-3 minutes south of Brighton On Brighton bay ther is a boat launch in the resdiential part of presquile withthe bay being half frozen and te corn fields off the bay which the land owners don't let people hunt the geese are roosting in a cove just outside of the bay you could set up on salt point for pass shooting or sneak in around 10 well the geese are in te fields and give em a good cut out of their roost. Justin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

Wow thank you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 am 
Walleye Fry

It all depends on your municapality. I've posted the link to the map below that shows where sunday hunting is permitted. The idea behind the extended season in the absence of Sunday gun hunting is that there are days that can be made up in the form of a management hunt and still be within the allotment set out by the migratory birds convention act for Ontario.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@fw/documents/geospatialmaterial/275975.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am 
Walleye Master

Now to try to get somewhere where the geese are...
Justin, I know Brighton Bay well but never heard the name Salt point. Is it open water for a canoe, or walking on ice for retrieving?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 pm 
Guppy

Salt point comes Out from presquile were the bay meets the lake. if you head out to the lake head left past cedar dale campsite and their is a cove a kilometer down beach surrounded by trees hunt the edge werethe lake goes into the cove geese Fly from wellers bay and Brighton spot works good for us all year you will need a boat I woud not recommend goin over in a canoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:15 pm 
Walleye Angler

A County buddy of mine here at work just called the MNR 1-800 number and they said the extended goose hunt does cover the county. They said the Sunday hunt is a municipality thing, nothing to do with them (MNR). I would suggest if you want to know for sure give them a call, thats what they are there for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

Wow Great info!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:07 pm 
Walleye Master

Everything I have seen and read states the 2012 Feb.-Mar goose season is only open in Municipalities that do "not" have Sunday hunting. The only municipalities around the Quinte area I know of and can see in the Sunday hunting maps are Brighton township and around Deseronto. Unless there are other municipality by-laws...
below is the goose season pulled from the regs:

Open Seasons in Ontario-Canada Geese and Cackling Geese
1. Hudson–James Bay District Sept. 1 to Dec. 16, 2011 Sept. 1 to Dec. 16, 2011 Sept. 1 to Dec. 15, 2011
2. Northern District Sept. 10 to Dec. 25, 2011(a) Sept. 1 to Dec. 16, 2011 Sept. 15 to Dec. 15, 2011
3. Central District Sept. 17, 2011, to Jan. 1, 2012(b) Sept. 6 to Dec. 21, 2011 Sept. 20 to Dec. 20, 2011
4. Southern District Sept. 24, 2011, to Jan. 8, 2012(c)(d) Sept. 8 to Sept. 18, 2011(g)
Sept. 24 to Dec. 28, 2011(e)
Sept. 24, 2011, to Jan. 7, 2012(f)(g)
Feb. 25 to March 3, 2012 (f) (g)(h) Sept. 25 to Dec. 20, 2011

(a) Except for American Black Duck, for which the open season begins on September 10 and ends on December 15, 2011.
(b) Except for American Black Duck, for which the open season begins on September 17 and ends on December 20, 2011.
(c) Except for American Black Duck, for which the open season begins on September 24 and ends on December 20, 2011.
(d) In Wildlife Management Unit 65, Snow Goose call recordings may be used, but if used with decoys, the decoys may only represent white or blue phase Snow Geese, or any combination of them.
(e) In municipalities where Sunday gun hunting is permitted.
(f) In municipalities where Sunday gun hunting is not permitted.
(g) No person shall hunt Canada Geese or Cackling Geese by any means on Sundays during the hunting season in municipalities where Sunday hunting with a gun is not permitted by provincial regulations.
(h) Except in Wildlife Management Unit 94.

I'd love to hear if it is open in other places around the Quinte area. If anyone knows anything different, please let us know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:19 pm 
Perch

Adventure,you are absolutely correct with your information. Prince Edward County does not qualify for an extended season hunt.
Not sure how others got their information but you are 100% correct.

Too bad though...know folks would appreciate a season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:15 pm 
Walleye Fry

Hutchy wrote:
A County buddy of mine here at work just called the MNR 1-800 number and they said the extended goose hunt does cover the county. They said the Sunday hunt is a municipality thing, nothing to do with them (MNR). I would suggest if you want to know for sure give them a call, thats what they are there for.

In a way he is correct, but it still does NOT open a late goose season in the County. Sunday hunting is a choice by the minicipality. If you DO NOT have sunday hunting, then you are without a full allotment of huntable days for migratory birds and are entitled to an extended "spring season". The MNR does not set migratory bird regulations, it is done by the Canadian Wildlife Service in conjunction with the US Fish and Wildlife Service under the Migratory Birds Convention Act.

So short answer, the MNR has nothing to do with Sunday hunting or extended seasons, but if your municipality has Sunday hunting, then you do NOT get a late goose season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 pm 
Walleye Angler

My Buddy called the 1-866 MNR number here at work yesturday and the person on the line said it was totally legal. Now having said that, he was still a bit leary about it and later called the local MNR inforcement officer ( Van Heckson I think his name is ) and he said absolutly not! He is now looking into who was giving out the wrong info to us yesturday from their call in.
A good bit of advice, If you call the MNR for information make sure you get the name and empoyee # of the person giving you the facts. My buddy could have had a hard time fighting this had he went ahead hunting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:47 pm 
Walleye Master

best thing to do is go on enviroment canadas website and look at the regs, they do the migratory bird hunting not the mnr

banner ad