Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: coyote with mange?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:08 am 
Walleye Angler

Got these off the trail cam today after the morning hunt. We think it has mange. These were taken at 10:30 yesterday, which is kind of unusual. The latest we have seen them is at around 7:00 AM.

Post subject: Re: coyote with mange?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Your getting some nice pics with that trail cam Hutchy. The rest of his coat dosen't look to bad, but his tail sure looks pretty rough. Hope you give him the cure, .223

Good luck.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:48 pm 
Walleye Master

Very cool pics you're getting lately for sure. As for the mange, about 15 years ago when numbers were really high, a lot started to get the mange around here. Usually the hair would be falling off all over their body and they looked sickly.

This one looks in good condition and just the end of the tail is hairless. Considering it is their breeding season, my guess is it's a female and the male is getting himself a little piece of tail :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:19 am 
Walleye Master

yep keep the cam rolling by mid summer that animal will be mangey over half its body

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:37 pm 
Walleye Fry

It doesn't look like mange to me. I would expect to see more of the coat looking "thin". My guess is either they lost the tip in a fight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:55 pm 
Perch

It's definitely mange and normally there is a progression leading to more loss of coat unless treated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:13 pm 
Walleye Master

\Deffinatly early stages of mange and whats bad is its a bit early in the year that dog is gonna look some sick in a couple months for sure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:49 pm 
Walleye Master

Seems we have a difference of opinions if it is mange or not then. I would agree to the mange if it wasn't breeding season and if it wasn't confined to the end of the tail and if the rest of the coat wasn't in as good shape as it appears. Usually the back belly hair goes first as it the part where the mites like them best. Plus it is highly contagious to other yotes and other ones would most likely be showing signs as well. I've seen yotes in winter before with mange. Not pretty anytime of the year.

Best you shoot it Hutchy and have a closer look and let us know. But if it is mange, don't touch it, the mites like humans too. It just doesn't effect us as bad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:09 am 
Walleye Angler

It kind of looks to me like he may have lost an alfa male battle or maybe has had a hard run with some hounds. He looks more chewed up than sick. We haven't been able to get a look at him through the scope to find out for sure. It was a little spooky in the woods Saturday morning with the widow makers dropping everywhere from the wind.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:17 am 
Walleye Fry

What signs are those who feel it is mange using to make that assumption? I'm not ruling it out but I don't see it. I have looked at the pictures closely and see absolutely no coat deterioration or abnormal thinning and only a physical injury to the tail. Mange would not cause the lost skin on the tail or what appears to be a few missing tail joints.

For those that say mange what are you using as an indicator?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:29 pm 
Perch

It is very clear that this animal has mange.I can see significant loss of shoulder guard hair in more than one photo. If you look at the second pic you can see the actual flank of this guy showing. When he turns around you can see lack of hair under the tail a s well.Having chased these guys for many years and had my hands on many I can assure you this is mange. By the way it is very common to see tails in this condition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:35 am 
Walleye Master

exactly. and ask yourself what on earth would strip all the hair off any animal like that i mean if it stuck its tail in a corn husker there would still be patches of hair short of completly skinning the tail off there is nothing that could do that to a tail other then mange or fire.
I also have skinned and ALSO tanned many animals in my years and you know or learn to grab some hair and give it a pull test to check the condition of a hide let me tell you its very hard to pull off a clump of hair when its healthy even if its in a shedding mode you will only pull out some guard hair not a clump right down to the skin. I have seen mange appear in many places on a yote and fox and it can very widely but i will say most common around the tail and flanks. remember this animal is coming out of its winter coat but unless you can see up close you cant check its under coat. but just the tail alone tells me it has mange... i hope either he kills this yote or keeps getting pictures so we can all see how it progresses over time. worst case ive ever seen in the wild was a red fox and it was completely hairless from the front shoulders back almost looked like a male lion. that animal was destined to parish because its only way to servive a winter is with a good coat of fur thats why i say this is just in the early stages of mange.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:23 am 
Walleye Master

It's like you say "strip all the hair off" that makes me think this is not mange. Mange is caused by mites which causes hair loss usually in patches. The tail to me looks like it was stripped off, such as a male trying to either fight off another male in its territory or a male constantly nipping at the tail trying to mate due to it's their breeding season. I watched this about a month ago with the male relentlessly chasing the female right behind my house.

Any foxes or coyotes I have seen\shot exhibited additional hair loss in other areas by the time the mites got to the tail, especially in the belly and flank areas. Many of the yotes I saw had no hair from the flank halfway down the tail and only hair left on the tip.

I think we may have to agree to disagree. I think we all agree, mange isn't pretty. Keep the photos going Hutchy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 am 
Walleye Fry

I have looked at the pictures very closely and cannot see missing guard hairs. Not saying for certain it is not mange, but I cannot make out the signs from the pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

If my son and I can, we will drop this thing and take some real close pictures and send you skin samples to you if you like lol . Right now the only thing that seems to be getting any shooting in is our trail cam. This coyote seems to be out of the norm of the other ones that we got pictures of they only come around at night and early morning. This one came out in the afternoon and stayed around the camera's bait dish several hours. ( unfortunatly on a work day )

banner ad