Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Turkey time is coming
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

Some pics from my trail cam. U can see the remnants of last years ground blind in the back ground...just hope these guys show up this year ha!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

I am going to give it a try this year for the first time. Any pointers ??

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:52 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Best tip I can give is to do some scouting, then get out there the evening before your hunt and see where the birds are roosting. If you can set up the next morning in the vicinity of the roost you have a better chance of getting a gobbler to come in as soon as he hits the ground. Otherwise if your hunting blind (not knowing where the birds are) it can be hard to pull him away from the hens after flydown if all the girls are right there close to him and you are further away.

Another is patience. Don't give up on a setup too soon. That bird may not be responding with a gobble, but that dosn't mean he's not sneeking in for a look. When you do decide to change locations wait at least 20-30 minutes after your last calling series before getting up to pack up or you may spook one off that was coming in quiet.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:04 am 
Walleye Angler

the biggest pointer i can give is to have FUN!!ive been turkey hunting for the past 5or6 yrs and i look forward to it every year its definitely a good time waister but has rewards

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:54 pm 
Walleye Master

Nothing says spring like the sound of a gobbler.... can't wait here either. I think Dog Lake and Buckflash summed up a lot of it. Don't think it's just an early morning only game. Most of my birds have come between 10 and 11:00.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 am 
Walleye Angler

Turkey hunting can be very exciting, lik ethe one post said if you have gobbling close and they have been responding to you calls dont give up.. I have noticed that when they are actually breeding the hens they seem to stop gobbling back to you calls and then after he is done with how ever many he has with him he will start gobbling again looking for more. Quite often they will also stop gobbling and then just as you are about to give up suprise you by being right behind you or pop out of know where.
have fun the spot the pics are from i get one every year for the last 6 years and each bird has come within range in total different ways. They are very unpredicatable just keep that in mind, they could be in the field in front of you for hours and just when you think they are not going to come in for some reason they change there mind and march right into range.

Going to check camera again tommorrow put some more corn down last week. just remember you can feed them but like ducks it has to be gone before the hunt.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:54 pm 
Walleye Master

I was practicing my calling off the back deck on Sunday around 10:30 in the morning. I went for a ride after lunch and got back around 2:00. When I got back my wife was all excited as she said about 30 turkeys were right on our front lawn around 1:30. So it took them about 3 hours to come see what all the ruckus was about earlier on in the morning.

I think I'll get the scope mounted to the shotgun this weekend and start setting up the blinds soon...come on April 25th!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the pointers people. Now what to do about them nasty Mosquitos ???? :evil: :x

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 pm 
Walleye Master

I carry a thermo cell unit. It really works for me. As soon as I sit down, I pull it out and turn it on. When I'm done, I turn it off, let it cool for a minute and into my backpack it goes. Not saying you never get bit, just get bit a whole lot less.

banner ad
banner ad