Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: 2012 Goose opener
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:33 am 
Walleye Angler

Well we hit the goose fields today , my good buddy Shauwn had a field filled with geese. At the field at 5 am and meet his friend Greg which is a great guy. It did not take long to get our limit of 30 geese ( Actually 28 minutes ) Was a excellent hunt and ranks up there in the top five goose hunts of all time for me. Got to try out my new Beretta and it is a sweet gun let me tell you. Hope to do it again real soon , great guy's to be with.

Post subject: Re: 2012 Goose opener
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:05 am 
Walleye Master

I was waiting for this...Congrats again Catcher! No doubt you have these birds figured out too. Look forward to seeing the same thing with your sons beside you.

Do you mind letting us in on how many decoys and of what kind (shells, full size..) decoys you use? Do you find any pattern in your decoys makes a difference and where you sit in the coys? (assuming you use a layout blind)

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:38 am 
Walleye Angler

Sure no problem , today we hunted in a cut wheat field and we were lucky the farmer has left the straw there and we used that to hide the blinds in. We used layoutblinds you can see mine in the pic just behind my shouder , I am the guy on the right of the picture. And today we had every decoy we own out including some shells and silouttes . We had a U shaped spread out with the upper corners of the U facing the wind. The blinds were at the bottom of the U and I always have a lone goose out about 10 - 15 yards in front of us looking like it has just landed and is walking in to join his friends. We had a total of about 120 or so decoys out. With the furthest one at the corners of our U at about 40 yards or so. really important to leave a large landing zone in the middle of the U .I always also have a cluster of decoys right at the blind in a group so the geese have a harder time picking the blinds out. Now once the stupid geese get shot off we switch to just full hard body decoys ( Big Foot type ) and no Silouttes or shells. The geese will pick up on shells and Silouttes and will not commit and land outside spread and try to walk in instead of flying in. That is what works for us anyway.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for sharing. I'm slowly working on my spread to get numbers up, but it will take some time at $40 a pop. I was out tonight and some guy was walking around in the next field over calling the same note every 2 seconds. I yelled over a couple times after a while but he couldn't hear me over his constant honking. After listening to him for a 1 1/2 hrs I felt like going over and shoving his call so far down his throat he would honk every time he farted.

Needless to say, this is the first day in a month the geese haven't come to the field I was in. Anyway, he must have ran out of breath after a couple of hours and finally slowed down around 7:15. One lone goose came in after that and left the field in the back of my truck.

Looking forward to getting my little guys out a few times now.

banner ad