Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Question?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:22 am 
Walleye Master

If you hadn't questioned that on this board, none of us who read it would have known. Now we do. Thanks for letting us know Hutchy.

P.S. I can't wait for your next question.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:59 pm 
Walleye Angler

A recipe for a good topic: 1 pot add black kettle, stir frequently then simmer :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:09 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I glad your question got answered hutchy. To each their own in the woods, although its a great idea not everyone may see it that way, the most important person being anyone that can take away your ability to legally hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:59 pm 
Walleye Master

catcher wrote:
fredflint wrote:
I see where every one is coming from in this post. Seems like there are some strong willed people on these forums and when you post something that they don't think is right its attack attack attack when you only are asking a question. I like the lets ask the warden post. I find the hunting regs in Ontario very vague. Cause i have a lot of questions too.

No there are only a few , and not every forum is like that. But there are always a few KIA ( know it all's) That is for the most part why a lot do not post on here. I know of a few people who have joined but will not post , due to a select few.

Makes me wonder who are the select few ??? as for me i dont see where or think i have attacked anyone here but im really now feeling like ive been turned on simply for making a comment on a post as how i might see it wich really means nothing in the big picture......... maybe i see it just like the MNR does and a reason they dont really want guys out there hunting with a gun a bow a knife, and a blow gun , or a spear all at one time pretty much do as you wish, kill kill kill you bought a licens just go on a killing spree.... but saying that if your a true hunter then you might like to take a game animal with all weapons above mentioned but do you need to carry them all in the woods with you at one time just in case the right oppertunity happens to come along lol thats just my oppinion . again it means nothing really .
lets talk coyoties .......... to some they are just a pest and they think every one should be shot on sight.... but thats only to some. to a trapper he waits for season to open a prime pelt for sale, to a true yote hunter same applies.... to thouse who like to shoot them and leave them where they dropped as worm bait..... would you really call that a good hunter??? here in Ontario there is open season year around on yotes, in other places they have a season just like deer, bear, elk, moose. rabbits, and grouse, geese, and ducks ......... again i for one think that the day the last yote is killed it will be a sad sad day for us hunters. and im not saying anyone here wants to be the one who kills the last coyote in ontario lol . figured id just make that clear so no one feels ive attacked them .
and really i ment or mean no one any harm here its not my intentions maybe id be more liked if i kept my post to a simple ego stroking comment like Nice fish, or Nice deer instead of being a (KIA) and sharing my oppinions on a message board .... Grizz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:22 pm 
Walleye Master

I think the debate here is more with the coyote topic than anything else. I don't think anyone wants to shoot the last one and I think all of us here like nothing more than to hear coyotes yipping it up in the middle of the night. The issue becomes when there are too many coyotes and they start causing problems. For instance, killing farm animals (remember I'm a farm boy, I've seen it), killing dogs (two of my friends have had this happen) getting mange and spreading it to other coyotes creating a general health issue and on it goes. A healthy population is one where coyotes and humans get along together in a healthy environment.

The MNR sets out regulations to ensure a healthy population of a certain species is maintained. Hunters are the main keepers of this balance. Hutchy is, as he has stated before, seeing a high population in his area. We have already established mange is in his area and he knows they are taking many deer in the area. So if he chooses to take a few out, legally of course, to bring the population down to help things out, I personally see no issue. If he chooses to shoot them all, as stated go on a killing spree, the MNR will see this decline as too much and regulate the season. As they have in the Algonquin region and other areas of Ontario where there is now a coyote season and a tag limit for this reason.

And just because I like to babble, take a look at what not controlling a population has done in other areas of Ontario.

To stay close to home, Presquile is a prime example with the deer population. They were left for years to do as they will with no control by any means. The result was interbreeding and overgrazing. I can see easily see a debate to the method, but to stay to my point, a hunt was introduced and the numbers were reduced to maintain a healtier number of deer.

To go back to Algonquin and again, a no hunting allowed area, let's take a look at the moose. In the 70's and 80's deer were the main big animal. Through the 80's into the 90's the moose population exploded and pushed many deer out. The result led to an infestation of ticks in the late 90's where hundreds of moose died from ticks. I was hunting on the west side and saw this. It used to be 3 in a group for guaranteed bull tag. I shot a bull and it was covered in them in '97. In '98 I found a dead moose from ticks. Talking to the residents led to stories of them laying dead everywhere especially throughout the park itself. If you look in the regs now, there are no moose tags available or it is 15 in a group for there as a result.

It boils down to maintaining a healthy balance. And it's not always easy to do. Opinions and discussions bring out many different sides and observations. Hopefully the ying and the yang balance well as a result.

Sorry for the long post. Geez Hutchy, what's in your stew? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:56 am 
Walleye Fry

Funny the ministry defines bows and pellet guns as firearms. Yet the law for purchasing has to do with firearms being classified due to the fps rating. Meaning bows and "most" pellet guns are thus not classified. Something to think about.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:46 am 
Walleye Master

Very well said Dave. and i so agree. in fact this is usually our best fall back defence when talking to anti/ non hunters.......... we need hunting to help keep things in ballance....... cities grow. towns grow. villages grow and this will take away habitat. game will move into any prime areas left. if we only frequent these prime areas we will see the good and the bad in it.. Nature has its way of taking care of things, and we as well seem to think we have our ways. and no one is wrong. I have no doubt that Hutchy is just trying to help, and i have no problem with that. I myself have spent years and years in the bush. I have Trapped. and hunted. fox, and coyotes for the last 20 years .
I guess if we go back to his main question. can you take a rifle out with you in a bow stand?
Do we or you think the MNR dosnt like this mainly because they think you are or might be tempted to shoot a deer with the gun when you are out there bow hunting? or is it maybe they dont want you . as i stated going on a killing spree while in the woods, basically able to shoot anything......... call it cross over hunting if you will. happens all the time while small game hunting, rabbits and grouse.... ducks, and geese...... Big Game. Small Game has always had its seperation.
Back in my Fathers day, my grand fathers day people hunted for food there was a time when you wanted meat you just went hunting. people in the country feed people in the city taking truck loads of wild game into cities and sold on the open market. its a proven fact that there is now much more game than when it was a free for all with no licens, no seasons. also a good point to be made to any animal activest who seems to think there is no need for hunting, and all hunters are just blood thursty killers . its us hunters who brought a ballance and made hunting what it is today.
Weapons.......... was a time when you could buy a gun that could shoot a rifle round, and a shot gun shell. when is the last time you saw one of them made?? Im not even sure if they are leagle to use now days ?? maybe they are grand fathered into the laws ?? . this gun was designed for the crossover hunting back in the day .... no need to carry two guns in the woods I know in NY state you cant carry slugs, and bird shot while out hunting,
if my first post sounded like i was totally against hutchys way of thinking. or dead wrong, or i feel im a better hunter because of how i like to do things thats just not the case. and i did not know he is a 30 year hunter i assumed he was a young hunter because he just got his first rifle last year. it does strike me a lil odd that if he is so over run with coyotes we havent seen pictures of many dead coyotes. one would think he would have spent some time in the off season thinning out the yote population in his spare time so he could enjoy a nice piecefull bow season, keep in mind i come from an area where a yote up until recently was considered a fur animal and season ran from late october until march 1st I believe now season opens sept 1 when the pelts are no wears close to being prime. so many are now shot and laid to waist, to me thats just wrong, but thats only to me. I cant help thinking that if a good prime coyote pelt brought you 50 or 60 bucks on the fur market there would be a hell of alot less coyotes out there for us to hunt.. again im sorry if i come across as a (Know it all) thats just not my intentions. grizz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:57 am 
Walleye Angler

Well Grizz, I only have a 40 acre parcel and all the other land around me is small 50 - 100 acer parcels and are posted no hunting or trespassing yet these people are all complain about their cats going missing and seeing a lot of coyotes close up. I dropped a second one this morning, I didn't want to mention it because when I do it you call it killing and I don't particularly like it. One every 4 weeks and only by chance of one walking by my stand isn't going to wipe them off the face of the earth. I am only hoping that they will learn my area isn't safe for them and they will move on. They rarely presented themselves close enough for my bow which is why I purchased the gun, it has an effective reach. The hunting season was over for me when I got my gun. Even though the season for them is year round I will not shoot them during the time they have pups. They do still produce the guns with duel size but I would bet if you were to use it you likely would only be able to carry what ever ammo is legal for hunting at the time. You will have to call the MNR on that one.
Adventure, I really enjoy reading you posts and responses, you really know the facts and can keep posts on topic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:20 am 
Walleye Master

well hutchy i guess we will never see eye to eye if you want to look at everything i say as a attack on you its sad, but all i have is words and if you see them as a personol attack there is little i can say or do to change how you want to see it .
Look at it this way... you look out your back window, you see a coyote crossing your field, you stick a gun out the window and shoot or (KILL) a coyote, deer, bear, rabbit or what ever to me thats killing, NOT HUNTING...... now if you woke up this morning said think ill go try to hunt a coyote head out back, make a few calls up pops a coyote you shoot its dead, thats KILLING but you were hunting a coyote, thats why you went out there good job buddy nice hunt . i would never fault you or call you a killer for going hunting, i hope you see the differance . and only you know unless you tell us about your hunt .
if you go back and reread my first post it might make a little more sence to you now........ if you are out there bow hunting. in walks a coyote you shoot it. (Kill it) with a bow. i see now harm at all you were bow hunting yes it had to come into bow range but you were bow hunting and it is perfectly leagal to kill dispatch, take out, harvest a coyote all year around , you did nothing wrong , i know ive killed fox, coyote, rabbits squeerrls. grouse, wild turkeys woodchucks with my bow while bow hunting does this make me a blood thursty killer of animals ?
...... again ill ask you and everyone////////// why do you think it is the MNR dosnt want you to carry a gun, and a bow in the woods at the same time?? . Just like you said what differance does it make if the deer isnt laying dead with a 270 hole in it durring archery season ?? if you are going to do something illeagle the law is not going to stop you so maybe. just maybe its not only illeagle its also poor hunting ethics

banner ad