Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:55 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:40 pm 
Walleye

I'm looking at buying one for duck and goose hunting.
- What the difference between the sportsman and field
- I've seen one with different chokes for ducks - with names like above the decoys, flying away instead of MC, Mod .....something like that do they come included with the gun or is it all separate?
- What's the recommended barrel lenght for bird hunting.
- Is anybody selling one and where's a good gun shop around the GTA.

So many questions.
I currrently have used a 870 Wingmaster/ Express since I got my license in '77
Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:57 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

All the shotguns in the 11-87 line are "sportsman", but the sportsman field model is the 3" autoloader in a walnut stock, satin finish, and 28" barrel. 11-87 Sportsman "Supermag" models have 3 1/2 " capability.

If you like the Remingtons then check out the versa-max as well.

Most shotguns come with between 3-5 chokes, but strangely some are still shipped with only one. Most shops carry chokes for the major brands, but if you buy someting a little less common you're better off buying all the chokes you need right then if they are in stock.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:53 pm 
Walleye Master

I think Dog Lake hit most of your questions. But there are many different answers to some of your other questions only you can answer depending on what you want out of your gun and the style of hunting you want to do.

There are local area gun shops that can help you best with these answers. Accuracy Plus in Peterborough and Cheshers in Belleville are a couple and would also be able to show you a few other guns you may not have considered.

If you are located in the GTA, there's Gagnon's and LeBaron's to name a couple.

If you want more opinions of others here, let us know a bit more about how you hunt (blind, field, jump shoot), what you mostly hunt and what else you might want to hunt with a shotgun (deer, grouse...).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:21 pm 
Walleye

well thanks for the respones. After much debate I purchased a Winchester SX3. After talking to the sales guy in Burlington's new SAIL store, he pointed out for a few extra bucks I could get the SX3 and the gas system is the same as the Browning MAXUS. After taking both apart it was identical for $600 less. Both are own by the same company and I got a better performing gun that can be handed down to my boy. Too many forums were talking trash about the 11-87 so I thought it's better to do it once and get it right the first. Thanks for the reponses. As for what I'll be hunting is mostly ducks and geese in open water and clay birds on the solid ground. Tomorrow I'll try to pop off a few to see how it handles. PLus it's over a pound lighter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:32 pm 
Walleye Master

I shoot the Browning Silver 3.5" so it is very similar as well and I love it. Did you get the 3.5" or 3"? I find 3" fine for ducks but the extra boom of the 3.5" is great for geese. And with the semi, the kick isn't there like in a pump.
Let us know how the SX3 works out for you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:57 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Congrats on the SX3, I'm sure you will be very happy with it. I've had mine for 3 years now and it's worked flawlessly. Only drawback I found was the price of the slug barrel for it. 8O I'll just use the muzzleloader instead.

Couple of tips for the SX3. Take the time to try out the different stock shims that come with it until you find the one that fits you best, you'll be glad you did. Also if you decide to change out the front bead the screw underneath ir is put in with semi-permanent loc-tite and will break off easily. A small amount of heat on the inside of the barrel first and it will come right out.

Good luck out there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:11 pm 
Walleye

I got the 3" because both me and my boy will be shooting it. Him and I put 50 rounds through it shooting clays and it's great. The 2nd shell jammed but after that no problem. Maybe just a burr somewhere. Now Dog Lake, why do I need to shim it? I thought it was only if you need to extend it. I'm only counting on using it for birds, on water and land and maybe the odd rabbit. I have great slug gun.
Stan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:39 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Everyone holds a shotgun a little differently when they bring it up to their shoulder quickly. With the shims you can adjust the drop in the stock and/or slightly angle the stock in relation to the barrel. These adjustments can actually make quite a difference in helping get a nice sight picture down the vent rib to the bead as soon as the gun is shouldered.

Instead of searching for a gun that fits you well, you build the adjustment into the gun and make it fit the man. It may well be that it's just fine as is, or you may find a small change makes a big difference. It's worth trying out though.

Hope you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:58 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Bruce. Love to learn from the experienced it saves so much time. I'll let you know how I made out

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:51 pm 
Walleye

Well after 225 shells from clay birds to ducks, this gun is fantastic! Lighter than my 870 and quiker. I had a friend and his family even try it on the range and his girls want to get their gun licences now. That says it all. My boy got his first duck this weekend with it and loves to shoot so its a huge sucess and I would really recommend this gun for all ages.

banner ad