Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Waterfowlin'
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 am 
Walleye

Just wondering what the deal is.

Sunday, September 3rd, we were hunting or sorry "trying" to hunt some geese and ducks off of the Bay. We had a good start to the morning with a couple of ducks coming in.

However!, the blast off which sent boats everywhere changed that. Before we knew it, we had 3 boats within 100 yards of our decoys. 1 boat literally flippin' 10 yards beside our duck decoys. Even after making ourselves present they remained and continued to fish ontop of our hunt. We had ducks and geese flying, but clearly couldnt get much going, with 2 guys wearing red floater suits in a 20ft green ranger.

Am I crazy?

Is there not anywhere else in the bay they could move to, specially after seeing 2 guys with loaded shotguns hunting infront of them?

Needless to say, they stayed, we left, even after waking up at 430am, setting up by 530am and waiting all morning just to have it ruined.

Whoever you guys were, thanks.

D.

Post subject: Re: Waterfowlin'
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:03 am 
Walleye Master

Makes you wonder doesn't it. It's the same as the guy who walks over and drills a hole in the ice 5 feet beside you, casts in the same small pool as you or follows you to your stand opening day. Some people just have no morals.

I have gone to my blind before and found people fishing out front already. So I moved to another spot. I have had the same thing happen as you and I just called over I was there hunting already and they moved on. No problem.

I do know it is illegal to interfere with a person who is legally hunting, fishing or trapping. You could state the law and point out you are not interfering with his fishing, but he is interfering with your hunting.

Now if they still didn't move on, you could explain to them you will be certain to continue to hunt safely and not to worry about the noise when the ducks come along. If they still stayed you could call over to them and ask if they would help you out by letting you know if any ducks were coming your way. Maybe after that strike up a conversation with them about the weather, or golfing or tennis or your wife's new haircut....

But always keep your cool no matter what and choose your words carefully. If you think you may not be able to, simply choose to move on yourself or if there are more troublesome reasons, notify the authorities.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:43 am 
Walleye

Section 13 of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act states that A person shall not interfere with lawful hunting, trapping or fishing by,
a) tampering with traps, nets, bait, firearms or any other thing used for hunting, trapping or fishing
b)placing himself or herself in a position, for the purpose of interfering, that hinders or prevents hunting, trapping or fishing; or
c) engaging in an activity, for the purpose of interfering, that disturbes or is likely to disturb wildlife or fish.

Sorry I had to! I am going to school for this and just thought it would be good practice. Kind of a touchy subject!

September 3rd for ducks and geese??

Last edited by moto669 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:04 pm 
Walleye

To add to that I recommend having a few copies of the act and if they refuse to move take a picture of their boat registration by your decoy setup, hand them a copy andwarn them the pice will be called. It works only when you remain cool and move back to your spot. Twice it worked for me at pennies a copy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:44 pm 
Walleye

my error, September 26-30th sorry hhaa