banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PEC rut
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:46 pm 
Baitfish

im having trouble determaning when the rut starts, can somone give me tips on how to tell and let me know when it starts, thanks

Post subject: Re: PEC rut
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:17 am 
Walleye Catcher

What's the PEC rut :?:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 am 
Walleye Master

I'm guessing Prince Edward County rut. I can't imagine they are much different in the island than they are on the main land, but hopefully someone from the county can tweak my dates specific to down there.
Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but you should already be seeing rubs and scrape lines by now which are all part of the rut.
If you're not familiar with the rut in any way, here's a quick guideline:
-early to mid October bucks will rub trees scraping the bark off to get rid of the velvet and to mark their territory visually and and with scent. Small bucks 0.75-1.5" diameter trees, big bucks 1.5-3" diameter trees.
-mid Oct- early Nov they will scrape the ground clear under an overhanging branch adn scent mark by peeing in the scrape and leaving scent on the branch above. They will make multiple scrapes and will generally follow a path and again, to mark their territory. Small bucks 1-2' diameter, big bucks 2-4' diameter scrapes.
-early Nov to mid Nov is when they are chasing the girls around and defending their territory against rival bucks.
Typically the peak rut is last week of Oct-first week of Nov. I'm sure different areas differ slightly and PEC may be slightly later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:51 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

One of our camp members missed a nice buck Monday that was right on the tail of a doe. The buck never even turned his head when they shot. Any bucks seen in the first few days were in the company of does, so I'd say its on hard, at least where we are, north of 4th depot lake. Lots of scrapes as well.

We are seeing lots of deer this year, just being patient and looking for racks. In two days I saw 12 does, 2 unidentified, 0 horns. Back hunting horns on the weekend and hoping that hot doe hasn't gone far.

Good luck guys.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:22 pm 
Walleye

In my experience bow hunting in the county ever since deer hunting began over there is that the rut is usually really heavy around the second week of November and on into the 3rd week and starting to ease off after that. Rattling seems to be the best during the second and third week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:39 pm 
Walleye Master

As a general rule the County rut is a couple weeks behind north Hastings and that would be this week coming. Should be well into it now.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad