Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Doe from HELL!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

Was thinking people would like my story. Well I was wrong. Took post down.

Last edited by Sknkmn on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Doe from HELL!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

Sure sounds like to Doe from hell!! Would that comprise the meat at all for sitting for 24 hr prior. ???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

I would probly say shooting deer on the run would have contributed to you 8+ hour search. Whistle at them even a loud bahhhhh! Looks like she was shot in the front legs and no vitals were hit. A little more patience woulxd have done good. I saw a buck on monday morning the same thing. Make sure the deer is stopped. Shooting at running deer doesn't seem very ethical. No need for that animal to suffer like that. Take the extra 2seconds to stop it. If it doesnt stop dont pull the trigger. Sick of seeing guys wounding deer. Just inexperience in my mind. Just my 2cents

Ps good on you though for sticking out the tracking job and recovering your animal

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

i did like your story very much ...I was just asking as i dont hunt .. thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 am 
Walleye Fry

Shooting at running deer isn't for everyone. Either you are comfortable with shooting at them on the run or not. I have grown up hunting deer behind beagles and hounds. If you can get a deer to stop from running in front of a dog your a better hunter than me. I have tried all kinds of stuff. I know my rifle and my ability. If I don't feel comfortable with the situation I do not shoot. Having said that I also have seen many hunters that are unable to successfully harvest deer that are standing perfectly still. So in this case if they are unable to do so on a regular basis should they give up hunting? I see your point but there are two sides to every story.

Tyler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:37 pm 
Walleye Master

PM sent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

The story was good, even though the pics were a little harsh they showed the reality of the hunt. Not every kill is picturesque but you stuck with it and nothing was left to spoil, good on you. May your next be a 12 pointer and drop right in front of you, you deserve a break Buds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:45 pm 
Walleye Angler

Finding the doe was a tribute to your perseverance in finding what you shot, but what you have to see is that as we read the story in the back of our minds is the pain and suffering of the doe. The more you went thru the greater the suffering. Best bet is to figure out why the round took her in the leg and either get the rifle sighted, the shooter sighted or shooter waits for the next opertunity. Full marks for finding the kill.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:23 pm 
Walleye Master

Sknkmn, I don't think anyone wanted you to remove your story. That's the way it goes sometimes and you called it as it was. Hats off to you for perserving and finishing up what was started. Thanks for sharing your story, I wish it was still there.

I think a lot of good points were brought up as a result and showed hunting doesn't always go picture perfect as we would all like. Hopefully someone gained a little extra hindsight that will help them out in the future.

As to the question raised of the meat spoiling, I don't think there's any point trying to say it isn't compromised. Although not ideal, I have left animals overnight and never noticed a significant difference in the meat.

When it comes to tablefare, I think it comes down to age of deer as much as anything. As much as we would all love to shoot nothing but trophy bucks, is as much as half the time you can't cut the gravy with a chainsaw. Marinading, sausage, burger and slow cookers become the order.

Gutshot animals are a little different and meat can easily be tainted. Again, this is where making hamburger and sausage shine in ensuring the meat does not go to waste. The right amount of spice and you don't taste it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

That was kinda my thought exactly. I figured by the time most hunters take there deet to the bucher it's probally close to that time anyway. Other than people that do it them selves. Which is probally most saving the extra costs

banner ad