Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:21 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Big Lake Hunt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

We hit the big " O " these last few days with the kids , and they have been having fun shootin Oldsquaw and Buffleheads. Pretty luxurious with lawn chairs right at the shore. If only it was not -12 out. Image

Post subject: Re: Big Lake Hunt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 pm 
Walleye Master

very hardcore if you ask me lol .......... in the second pic is that decoys out front ? man how do you set them out in thouse waves ? do you just toss them out there and maybe get them back with a fishing pole? or do you take a boat ? . looks pretty cold there with the wind and waves at your feet .

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

Grizzly wrote:
very hardcore if you ask me lol .......... in the second pic is that decoys out front ? man how do you set them out in thouse waves ? do you just toss them out there and maybe get them back with a fishing pole? or do you take a boat ? . looks pretty cold there with the wind and waves at your feet .

Yup they are the decoy's , they are on long strings with big weight on each end with 12 decoys on each string . We have chest waders and hot pockets in every spot we can. I got a pair of those thermacell rechargeable heated insoles and they work great. We also bring a canoe but try to not use it if possible . Not really into swimming in late December. Lol.
But you know die hard apprentice hunters. They want to go every chance they get. Also no shortage of people who want to go , there is 8 of us going on Monday. Duck Jerky and hot chocolate a must.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 pm 
Walleye Master

Great to see you guys are getting out there still. You gotta love late December duck hunts on the big lake. We had a great time out there a week ago. Don't forget you still have until Jan. 5th. But as much as I'd love to be out there then, I'll be gone way down south this year.

For retreiving, I got a pair of Ultimate waders from Cabelas this years and with the lake as low as it is, I was sitting on a rock in 3 feet of water about 75 yards off shore all warm and toasty. No problem walking out to retreive on the shoal we were at. We stalked a group of bufflehead in another spot and had to canoe out to get one. We could have used the waders there as well, but we weren't sure how deep it got in that spot. Crazy how low the water is.

For the decoys, we set a flock of mallards right on the point in tight. I had a pair of small old mallard decoys I painted to look like a male and female bufflehead. I set them just around the corner and out 30 yards or so. Those two black n whites were bringing the buffleheads right in.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 pm 
Walleye

Glad to see someone got into squaw this year! I'm really impressed to see the young guns out there on the shelf! Props to those kids!

We timed it just too late. Dec 30-Jan 3rd was our plan. Had the room booked and days off work. That big dump of snow just before shut down our access to our usual spots and the birds weren't working well at plan D. I hope to get down there next year as I'm hoping to get a few dozen samples for a study I'm helping with. If I can't get into them, maybe I'll try to get down there and sample your birds after you fillet all that delicious meat off them :)

All we came home with were pretty pictures:

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 am 
Walleye

Nice!

We're done this year and I'm already itchin again.

banner ad
banner ad