Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: CROSSBOW Question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 am 
Walleye Fry

Hi,
New to Crossbows, I decided to get a crossbow to extend my hunting season. I could not believe the price of arrows, for target practice how many arrows do you guys use? How many should I get? I'm afraid to screw any of them up. Cheaper option of arrow, or shoot one at a time at the target and retrieve, may be a stupid question? The arrows I got are around $65 for 6 .

Post subject: Re: CROSSBOW Question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 am 
Walleye Master

I always buy a minimum of 6 arrows and 6 broadheads. I number them 1-6 with permanent marker on the vanes. I use 3 for target and 3 for hunting. Just be sure to shoot the 3 hunting arrows with the target broadheads a few times to be sure they are good as well. I have had one arrow (bolt) shoot much differently than the others. I also always find one shoots better than the others and I put this one up front in my quiver for the first shot when hunting.

As for the price, if my wife knew how much I have spent on arrows and broadheads over the years...well let's just say I probably wouldn't be here to write this :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

^^^ X 2

I also only use carbon arrows. Aluminum are cheaper top buy per 1/2 dozen, but after a repeated shots the shafts tend to bend off true and crooked arrows don't fly straight or consistant.

Practice lots, at different yardages, and never shoot farther in the field than you are confident with in practice.
If you hunt from an elevated stand buy a good safety harness and use it all the time. Cheap insurance to make sure you go home to your family in one piece after your day in the woods.

Crossbows are a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy your extended season and good luck next year.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

I use the carbon. Keep the practice bolts separate from hunting. Also have 3 of each. Line the broad head blade with vane for greater accuracy. Upgrade the string and I keep it waxed. Remember if shooting from a tree stand, the inclined distance may be 50 feet but the aiming distance becomes about 34.
Good hunting

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 pm 
Walleye Master

Interesting about the carbons. Granted I'm talking more about compound bow and hunting here, but I shot aluminium arrows for years with no issues and even Robin Hooded quite a few. I learned to start shooting each arrow at a different target to save wrecking them as much.

An aluminum XX78 2413 has been my mainstay. I switched to carbon about two years ago and went through two strings pretty fast and I was not as consistent. They were spined and weighted according to the charts and I tried a couple different types. I also found my bow was louder and vibrated more. I went back to aluminum and never had an issue since.

My friend shoots an Excalibur Exomax with carbons and after shooting it, I mentioned it was loud and jumpy, He agreed and began to load it down with every vibration dampener out there. We got talking about aluminum vs carbon after what I went through and he went and got some aluminum. He said he'll never go back now.

I think all set-ups are different and everyone has their own preference, but I've found aluminium arrows load the bows up more and make them smoother and quieter to shoot. Not to mention lower maintenance. For the few extra fps you gain with carbon, it's not going to make any difference at normal hunting ranges with razor sharp broadheads.

Boils down to this, You have to find what works for you. Getting one arrow will not cut it. If the arrows you have work and you don't want to do anymore, stick with what you have. But be warned, playing around with bows and trying to get everything out of them is fun and can be as expensive as you make it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:48 pm 
Walleye Fry

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I will try both the carbon and the aluminium arrows just to see the difference. Do you use the field points for practice and before hunting sight in with the bolts? Here goes another learning curve and a good kick in the wallet. Still have to get some accessories for the bow ie. case, stringer, sling, serving wax, spare string ect...

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:56 pm 
Walleye Angler

I recommend you get carbons over aluminum , you will get a lighter stiffer arrow with carbons. If you went to same weight with aluminum you get a weak arrow. Im shooting the new excalibur Matrix and that baby fly's an 18 inch Diablo carbon at 380 feet per second.

For you guys with Excalibur's it is very important you have the correct brace height , I see so many guys with Excalibur's with the wrong brace height and are complaining about performance. But proper brace height should be one inch. Remember that string will stretch and check your brace height each time you shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

adventure wrote:
Interesting about the carbons. Granted I'm talking more about compound bow and hunting here, but I shot aluminium arrows for years with no issues and even Robin Hooded quite a few. I learned to start shooting each arrow at a different target to save wrecking them as much.

An aluminum XX78 2413 has been my mainstay. I switched to carbon about two years ago and went through two strings pretty fast and I was not as consistent. They were spined and weighted according to the charts and I tried a couple different types. I also found my bow was louder and vibrated more. I went back to aluminum and never had an issue since.

My friend shoots an Excalibur Exomax with carbons and after shooting it, I mentioned it was loud and jumpy, He agreed and began to load it down with every vibration dampener out there. We got talking about aluminum vs carbon after what I went through and he went and got some aluminum. He said he'll never go back now.

I think all set-ups are different and everyone has their own preference, but I've found aluminium arrows load the bows up more and make them smoother and quieter to shoot. Not to mention lower maintenance. For the few extra fps you gain with carbon, it's not going to make any difference at normal hunting ranges with razor sharp broadheads.

Boils down to this, You have to find what works for you. Getting one arrow will not cut it. If the arrows you have work and you don't want to do anymore, stick with what you have. But be warned, playing around with bows and trying to get everything out of them is fun and can be as expensive as you make it.

Perhaps I didn't give aluminum arrows enough of a chance, and might have to check some good ones out. I'll admit I only tried the shafts that came with the bow and one other type before jumping to the carbons. They worked well so I stopped looking, but there is someting to be said for a quieter bow.

Thank$$$$ Dave :lol:

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:21 pm 
Walleye Fry

catcher wrote:
I recommend you get carbons over aluminum , you will get a lighter stiffer arrow with carbons. If you went to same weight with aluminum you get a weak arrow. Im shooting the new excalibur Matrix and that baby fly's an 18 inch Diablo carbon at 380 feet per second.

For you guys with Excalibur's it is very important you have the correct brace height , I see so many guys with Excalibur's with the wrong brace height and are complaining about performance. But proper brace height should be one inch. Remember that string will stretch and check your brace height each time you shoot.

Catcher guess what I got ! What's brace height?
Can't wait to fire it !!!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:04 am 
Walleye Angler

Yonder wrote:
catcher wrote:

Now that is one sexy beast , I got the Black one , mainly because I do a lot of ground blind hunting. Your Brace height is the distance your string is on your rail from your riser. On most Excalibur's there are 2 lines on the deck where your string rests , so you need to add twists or take out twists to keep the string one inch from the riser.

Now on your new Matrix you want 7/8 brace height or keep distance off your bumpers 1/16 to 1/8 maximum. There are no little marks on deck for string to be between on new Matrix. So just try to keep that 7/8 brace height to maximize your bows performance.
A little warning for ya , that Matrix is powerful , I have a hurricane crossbow bag target and has always stopped arrows from my Excalibur's and Ten points no problem. So I fired a shot from my Matrix and the arrow blew right through it. I noticed the other day at Chesher's in Belleville they had a crossbow target there for 400 feet per second , so I'm going to get one and try that.
You will need a stringing aide to adjust brace height if you dont have one , you can come over sometime and I can set you up. Otherwise they sell stringing aides at Excalibur retailers. You will need one if you change your string anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:05 am 
Walleye Angler

Sorry double post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:52 pm 
Walleye Fry

catcher wrote:
Yonder wrote:
catcher wrote:

Now that is one sexy beast , I got the Black one , mainly because I do a lot of ground blind hunting. Your Brace height is the distance your string is on your rail from your riser. On most Excalibur's there are 2 lines on the deck where your string rests , so you need to add twists or take out twists to keep the string one inch from the riser.

Now on your new Matrix you want 7/8 brace height or keep distance off your bumpers 1/16 to 1/8 maximum. There are no little marks on deck for string to be between on new Matrix. So just try to keep that 7/8 brace height to maximize your bows performance.
A little warning for ya , that Matrix is powerful , I have a hurricane crossbow bag target and has always stopped arrows from my Excalibur's and Ten points no problem. So I fired a shot from my Matrix and the arrow blew right through it. I noticed the other day at Chesher's in Belleville they had a crossbow target there for 400 feet per second , so I'm going to get one and try that.
You will need a stringing aide to adjust brace height if you dont have one , you can come over sometime and I can set you up. Otherwise they sell stringing aides at Excalibur retailers. You will need one if you change your string anyway.

Catcher,
Thanks a bunch for the information, I definately will have to look into a proper target, and also keep an eye on the brace height.
Whats your opinion on the tact zone scope ? or did you swap it out? . I was in Chesher's just after x-mas, one camo was spoken for and they had the black one left. They were selling them at that time for the same price as the equinox, which I was originally going to get when I got word that the matrix was coming out. I really wanted the camo though, for me just versatilty.
Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:36 am 
Walleye Angler

Sexy looking bow.

I have the Equinox with the shadow zone scope and couldn't be happier....that is until I saw the Matrix.

I'm on the fence about upgrading. However, I love the sounds of a narrower, shorter, lighter yet more powerful bow.

We'll need a full review once you let a few arrows fly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have the tact zone on her now , but it aint stayen on long. Im going to be staying away from all short tube scopes. I don't like how they get blurry in your peripheral vision when you look through them. I think im gona put the leupold crossbow scope on it. But I have not made up my mind completely on a scope yet.
I have a friend who makes custom arrows if you like , actually he is down your way in St. Catharines and has a Matrix 355 and is playing with a few different type of arrows , so im waiting to see what he prefers the best, then im gona be ordering a bunch. With custom wraps and different colour 2 inch Blazer vanes. If you want his info just let me know. I always get custom arrows with my own personal touch to them. I like fluorescent wraps and white vanes usually.

banner ad