Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:39 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Waterfowl 2013
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:42 pm 
Walleye

Hey guys, looking for some advise converting my tin fishing boat into a duck blind boat.

I have the paint picked already and my strategy for camouflaging it. I am looking for advice on how to put in some pop up walls or cover. Something to come above the gunnels and provide more cover.

I intended on using burlap or snow fence covered in reeves, bullrushes, cat tails and grass.

Any suggestions?

I was told using conduit or pvc piping.

Looking for portable and inexpensive.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Waterfowl 2013
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

As a electrician I have used PVC and conduit. I would use conduit in this case. The camo paint would adhere better, conduit connectors use screws PVC glue, conduit more ridgit at the 1/2 inch size that would work for u. Plan out your frame work ie lenghts and bends, take that with u to lowes and I believe their electric department has a electrician on staff. If need be pm and I can set aside some time to help out I have a set of benders here and it sounds interesting. Have to love a good project.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:03 am 
Walleye Master

I used conduit as well and screwed female connectors to the boat and male connectors on the bottom of the frame. This way, I can lift the frame in and out easily. I also have a joint in the middle of the frame to fold it in half to make it easier to handle.

For painting, use lighter colors as a base. Cut bullrush, sticks and leaf patterns out of cardboard and use them as a template by laying them down and spraying darker colours over top leaving the shadowed outline. I also took real leaves and smaller sized forked branched and outlined them as well. Practice on a large piece of cardboard first to find out what you like best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:18 pm 
Walleye

Thanks guys, ill keep ya posted!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:26 pm 
Walleye Master

Down a couple of posts in the link below is a pic of my canoe. Might give you some ideas. I spent a lot of time on it and in retrospect, would have spent a bit more. Smaller and multiple patterns hide best. Try to keep away from large patterns. You can see what I mean in a couple of places.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14985&p=82206&hilit=canoe+paint#p82206

Look forward to seeing what you come up with at the end.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:15 am 
Walleye

Thats a hell of a job adventure!
I think when I do mine, its going to be directed more towards a lighter colour and more cat tails and reeves, rather than the leaves.
Your canoe job is very detailed and looks like a nicely finished matte.

Good Stuff.

I picked up some reeves and cat tails the other nights, im letting them dry right now. I am stuck on ideas though on what to use to mount the reeves and cat tails to. I am trying to decide between chicken wire, snow fence or burlap sacks.

I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible and have access to free snow fence and chicken wire. The burlap seems to be expensive whereever I go. The idea behind the snow fence or chicken wire is that I could weeve 2 long blankets full of cat tails and reeves into the holes of the fencing. Then hang the fencing off of a bow an stern pole I have installed.

Still debating what to doo......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:42 pm 
Walleye

You have to remember the cat tails when duck season opens up are green,they don't turn brown til later in the season i went with burlap lightly painted flat black to dull down the burlap brightness then bought tank camo at you local army surplus store that is already netted an covered in green material that will never rot went over top of that for a nice look.Birds can't see in because of the burlap.As the cat tails turn brown take an xacto knife with you and cut fresh ones and camo the green in with the brown cat tails as the season goes on.Just something else for you to think about works for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:28 am 
Baitfish

I built a boat blind when I lived in Alberta. I scrubbed the boat down and hit it with self etching primer before applying the matte paint inside and out. I used electrical conduit to build the blind frame. The blind itself was made of camouflage cloth (Hunters Specialties stuff) and 550 cord. I grassed it up with dyed rafia. The blind was removable for transport. Don't forget to cover or paint your motor paddles. Any shine will flare the birds, but I'm sure you know that.