Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bear baiting ideas
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:29 pm 
Walleye

Just wondering what other guys use for bait. I've been baiting for 2 weeks now with really good results using just popcorn covered with molasses as well as some different pastry stuff! Only 2 more weeks and I just can't wait!

Post subject: Re: Bear baiting ideas
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:46 pm 
Walleye Master

Hang around a Timmy's early in the morning and watch for a guy carrying out a bag full of last night's donuts to the trash can. They'll chew through a 1/4" welded steel box to get to them. Well, you get the idea.

Here's another one and I know I will be laughed at for this, but gasoline. We had a bear chew through three of our gas cans moose hunting before. We bumped into the MNR that year and told them about it. They told us all kinds of stories of other hunters and loggers who have had the same thing happen.
The bear walked by our camp with the mornings bacon drippings on the ground and past the bear bait of corn, grain and molasses to get at the cans of gas. Apparently they like diesel too.
Who'd have thought!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:38 am 
Walleye Fry

Dog Food works great. Use a 45 gallon drum and drill some 3/4-1" holes with a hole saw, they then have to roll around the barrel to get the dog food out. also helps keep the masked bandits from stealing, and stops the bears from getting stomach aches from too much sweets. good luck hope all works well

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:45 am 
Walleye

We have so many hunters in our town they actually lock the bins at Timmies because of guys trying to get stale donuts. LOL I have used dog food before and a friend of mine swears by it, I'm been dropping the canned dog food around the barrel because it stinks pretty good.
I have so much food completion around me it's hard keeping them around, the fields are full right now with corn and the 400 yard walk I have going in is just peppered with berries right now. I'm hoping in a couple weeks time most of the berries will be gone and can draw more bears into my spot. I have 2 consistent bears right now but from what my trail cam is showing me they are last years cubs. Still waiting for a big one to show again!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

Top the day old Timmies with a couple of packages of Twizzlers, (Red Licorice), can't miss.
Have a good hunt guys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:24 am 
Walleye

Well I have no clue what's going on but it's been a week now with nothing on the camera, not even coons eating the bait now. I have 2 cameras up and a big fat zero for pictures, so strange! Guess I was spoiled by getting so many pictures so early, another week to go till opener so hoping they move back in!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 am 
Walleye Master

Maybe they checked the calendar. I swear they know the hunting season dates better than we do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:17 pm 
Walleye

LOL! same thing has happened at my buddies bait site, not a single bear there either. It's a long season so I have lots of time

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:10 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

In Alberta we used grain soaked in deep fryer grease in a blue 50 gallon drum with a hole cut in the bottom front with the lid on a hinge to keep the rain off it, they used to eat the dirt to get at the grease. Then they track it threw the woods and bring in more bears. Also the other critters drag it all around. If your going to eat the bears the grain sweetens the meat. Also apples or old corn on the cob.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:16 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

sorry forgot to add one thing try burning maple syrup in a bread pan over one of those little warmers they use in the food tray lines at out door events. the smell travels for miles.

banner ad