banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: 2013 Moose Hunt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:44 am 
Walleye

Hey All

Just a couple of more days!!!
Good Luck to all those hunting in areas 3, 4, and 5.

I myself will be heading to Red Lake on Thurs. Love the hunt and hate the drive. LOL

Have to stop and get my doe tag tag on the way up. Moose, deer, fish. Life does not get much better.

Good Luck to all.

Post subject: Re: 2013 Moose Hunt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:32 am 
Walleye Angler

Good luck, Cane Pole Man. I myself have a bull tag for area 5, will be leaving here in
Corbyville on Weds. For Lac Seul. A deer tag in 5 is legal for up to 7 deer per hunter with a
purchase of more tags. Our cabin is 1/2 hour drive from Red Lake, but 26 hrs drive from
my home here. Have a great trip and hunt.
Donn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:44 am 
Walleye

Hey Blue

I say Red Lake but we are really in Ear Falls.
We have a bull and cow tag for 5.

Where r you staying.

We are at Golden Eagle.

We hunted area 3 for a couple of years now for the last few we have put in for area 5.

The long range forcast is that is supposed to get cooler up there starting Thurs.

Hope it stays cool. Had to leave early 2 years ago, it was too warm for the meat.

Good Luck

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 am 
Walleye Master

Just got back from bowhunting in area 15B. The first day was cold and frosty. With a fresh scrape under my stand, I had a bull grunting like crazy in the first hour. He came from the other side of the lake to about 150 yards and then hung up. Never got to see him, but all was looking good for the upcoming week.

Then the wind picked up later that day and blew strong straight out of the south for the rest of the week. Temps in the day rose to about 30 degrees and mosquitos and black flies carried us out of the woods. The wind swirled in the ends of the moose bays and a few other strokes of bad luck accompanied us. Needless to say we never saw or heard from a moose again.

I did get to see a couple of bears and had a wolf right under the stand which was cool to see. I popped a couple of partridge with the compound and we caught some pickeral and had a great lunch a few times.

We spent most of the daytime hours hiding from the scorching sun in the shade of the tent while sipping on an ice cold beverage. The only moose we saw was a small bull on hiway #11 around 2:00 in the morning. Man those things stand up tall on the road in front of the truck in the middle of the night. Fortunatly we saw him in time and drove around him.

All in all, it was still a great adventure with some great hunting buddies and many laughs along the way. After all, that's what it's all about anyway.

Good luck to all you guys heading up and hopefully that south wind turns around and it turns frosty for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

Cross country I'm not that far from Ear Falls, but my cousin and myself have a cabin on
Angood Lake, which is very remote and isolated. It' a really rough and difficult ride in on
the quads, we're usually rewarded with a moose and a couple of deer, plus limits of
chickens, and all the pickerel you want from nearby MacIntyre bay on Lac Seul.
Good luck to you and your hunting crew, Cane Pole Man.
Adventure, sounds like you had a good trip. Fun and all, but that's not what I wanted to
hear Dave. But weather and conditions up there are so unpredictable at this time of year.
Hopefully things will be in my favour for the next two weeks.
Will post when I return

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:10 pm 
Walleye

Heading out tomorrow morning at 5am with 3 other fellows. Will be in Hearst tomorrow night then on to just east Atikokan Wednesday. We hunt in 11A last year succesfully got a bull & cow, this year with only four of us going with a bull tag.

We will hunt birds for two days and do some scouting then on to some serious hunting on Saturday, thankfully looks like some rain then cooling down with a forecast of -3celuis Saturday morning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:25 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey Cane Pole Man, I just got in from 2 weeks in WMU 5, was a horror show on the roads,
29 hours of snow and ice and slush, 8 to 10 inches on the roads all the way back to Larder
Lake, from there to Quinte was great. Was just over the hill from where you hunted planned
on a visit, but railway bed road to Ear Falls was washed out, and to go another way was to
long. Anyway as you said 1st week was 20 plus degrees, so we took 4 days off to fish the
amazing Lac Seul, another story. By Friday of the 1st week the temp. dropped, and the
Moose came out to play. By Wednesday saw 13 shootable animals, let 2 bulls around 50"
walk, then I talked myself in to drop a bull I was sure was 60" at about 200 yards,
measured 52 1/2, but a beautifully rack, on thurs. it was deer day, and my partner shot a
big bodied 10 point buck, on Fri. We broke camp and hit the horror road home, will post a
full report, including pics, when I get myself back together.
Donn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:34 am 
Walleye Master

Congratulations Donn, sounds like you had the big moose adventure this year! Glad to hear you made it home safe and looking forward to your story and the pics of your moose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm 
Walleye

X2

Cadeuses

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:09 pm 
Walleye

Way to Go Donn

Ya we only stayed until Fri and the weather shjowed it was changing.
17 cabins checked at 3 camps and only 4 moose hanging. Way too hot.

Too bad you could not make it over. We heard a road was washed out but did not know which one it was.
After we left that is all we could think of is that there would be more moose running across the 105 than cars and trucks. LOL
Those who hunted the 2nd week would have had great sucsess. If you think about we were 1 week early. the 2nd week was really the 1st week.
The guys that did get a bull in our camp hunts for 10 minutes called the bull out and that was it. That was the Sat it was a little bit cool that day. They said they had just got into the tree stand made a grunt looked around and there he was. Not a big one maybe 2 years old.

I am glad you had a good hunt.

Deer in 2 weeks. looking forward to that. 7 guys 4 tags.

Thanks for sharing. I wish I had more to share. LOL

Dave