Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Trail cameras
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:31 pm 
Guppy

What type of trail camera is everyone using? I 'am looking to purchase one and I'm wanting to know everyone's opinions on which brands are working for them.

Post subject: Re: Trail cameras
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:33 am 
Walleye Master

Moultrie IR55

Pictures are really good color in the day, ok pictures b&w at night. But I have the flash turned off to avoid spooking deer.

Bucks, turkeys and coyotes seem to hear the click because they are looking straight at it and then go away. Does and cows look at it but don't seem to care.

I do get a fair number of empty pictures. Be it the wind blowing branches or missing an animal, I'm not sure.

Overall it has has been good, but I am currently thinking of getting something quieter and faster.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:09 am 
Walleye Angler

With game cameras you get what you pay for , there is no way a good quality camera makes any noise when taking a picture. Lol... IR flashes do not spook deer at all , now regular white flashes might. Although I used them for years and never had a problem with getting multiple pics of same deer with flash. Now you can get black flash on game cameras where it is totally invisible .
Some good cameras are U way , Spypoint , Reconyx , Cuddeback. But even these cameras have cheap versions , so like I said you get what you pay for. I like a camera that have a day and night function so in the spring when using it for Turkeys you do not have to take pics all night only daytime . Canadian Tire in Belevegas has quite a few to choose from so you might want to try there .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:24 am 
Walleye

I have 4 cams up right now, Wildgame Innovations, Bushnell, Cabela's, and a Moultrie. Stay far away from the Wildgame ones, there is a reason they are cheaper (JUNK) lots of missed pics or white shots. Bushnell cost a bit more but are a great camera and haven't had a single issue with. The Cabela one has been awesome so far and has been running on a single set of batteries with 100's of pics taken so far. Moultrie also very dependable and great pics but sucks battery life fast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:40 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:34 am 
Walleye Fry

i've been using spypoint and think they are the perfect price point to results ratio. they take awesome photos. just having trouble posting. tried to on another topic about deer eating pumpkins but no luck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:49 am 
Walleye Angler

There is a step by step instructions. In the tips and tricks section. For posting pictures

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:49 am 
Walleye

http://jpeg-optimizer.com/ This is what I use to post pictures on here, works great and every easy. Go to browse, upload your photo and hit optimize. Once it's up right click and save as. Works every time. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 pm 
Guppy

Ive had "Steath Cam" absolute junk , "Eyecon" was a quality picture, "Big Game" wasn't to bad. My fav is SpyPoint hands down. I also have 2 "Acorn2" that i bought of Ebay there black light as is the "Spypoint" and i cant complain. They take a great picture for a 12 mp camera. The Spypoint in black light is on sale at Accuracy Plus in Peterborough for 149.99 atm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:15 pm 
Guppy

BTW , buy Black light IMO, seems everyone is in the woods with a pile of apples,corn and a camera as of late. Don't know if its the hunting networks and all the neebs think " wow look at the size of these trophies and man is it easy to kill them" when in reality its called "hunting" not "shooting" for a reason.

But i personally have 350 acres in Havelock and back onto the County crown land. With certain areas on the crown land the deer are nocturnal around areas that multiple groups feed. I get lots of daytime shots on my property using the black light and never have the deer looking directly at my cameras. In the County more than 75% of the shots the deer look directly at the nice red light. Deer aren't stupid ....... mmm apples and corn with red flashy thingy in the tree eh, ill see you at 1am when NOBODY is around.

Again IMO, but if your spending money spend a titch more for Black lite cameras.