Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Voluntary Restraint
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:29 pm 
Walleye

So duck opens soon and I was doing a little preseason googling, and I happened across the concept of voluntary restraint while duck hunting. I have come across this concept before and have had it in mind while hunting but have never actively concerned myself with taking one sex of duck over another. It appears to be gaining more followers since the last time I really looked into it. My earlier research (i.e. googling) seemed to indicate that there is no evidence that sex selective hunting is "better" for the ducks.

The basic idea can be found here http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/what-we-do/vr.html

Just wondering if any local duck hunters follow this idea or just take what flies into the spread/field?

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

Post subject: Re: Voluntary Restraint
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:27 am 
Walleye Master

I don't see how it can hurt. I'll try to only take the males when possible and I do know other local hunters that do the same.

That said, I think there are a few considerations. If you do a lot of duck hunting you may choose to be selective compared to if you only go out a couple times a year. It also depends on how the ducks are flying in that day. If there are only a few around I may not be too picky, but if I have a lot coming in, I will look for the males and try to pick them out.