Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Best broad head ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey guys.
Just wondering what recommendations you might have for broad head choice (brands, mechanical vs fixed...)?
I have used fixed blade cutting tips with my 65 lb recurve for years, but my son is just getting started, and has a Hoyt Ignite compound that doesn't seam to like them.
I think it may be due to the speed (his seams much faster at 45lb than my old stick and string at 65+lb lol).

So, what's everyone using with these new fangled wheel bows...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Post subject: Re: Best broad head ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:16 am 
Walleye Master

I am currently shooting around 330 fps from one of them thar dang fangled wheelie bows. I've been shooting them for 25 years and tried a lot of different bows and heads. Todays bows are more finicky with broadheads flying at the higher speeds than they used to be. This is a big reason why mechanicals have become so popular. For fixed blade, I find the shorter broadheads more accurate.

Mechanicals do seem to find an edge for accuracy, but it's an inch or two in a group at 30 yards for me. Not enough to worry about for most hunting purposes with the exception of turkeys. But I do find them to be on the weak side. I can't bring myself to take them for moose or bear and only take a fixed blade for them. Simply put, nothing can go wrong with a quality fixed blade in itself. Not to say a mechanical wouldn't work, just my own lack of confidence in them for large game.

To your son, first things first. Tuning goes a long way to get any broadhead to fly well. I spend a lot of time getting my arrows to fly true. But it's this technical part why I like wheelie bows over a bent stick :) Teach your son the basics of paper tuning and get it shooting right before trying any broadhead. (There's a lot to be said in that.) From there it's a matter of personal choice and gaining experience.

For me, the best broadheads out of my last two bows were narrowed down to 125 gr. G5 Strikers for a fixed blade (moose, bear, deer). I shot 100 gr. Wasp Hi-tech hammers for years and never had an issue. I use 100 gr. Rage 3 blade for a mechanical (deer, turkeys). I have yet to try Grim Reapers and they will be next on my list to test out.

I'm sure you already know this, but the best broadhead for your son is the one that is razor sharp and accurate from his bow that he is confident in.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the input adventure. I'll let the the lad read your reply....sometimes these things make more sense when they're not coming from dad lol.
As for the wheelie bows, i bought an old browning from Scott at Westlake willows (thanks Scott) in hopes the boy could shoot it , but it proved to be too heavy, so I started messing around with it. I have to admit that it is kind of nice to be able to hit the broad side if a barn without the need to practice year round....and so much easier to shoot.
Kind of feels like cheating after all these years as a traditional archer...gettin old and lazy I guess...lol

Thanks again

Grant

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:37 pm 
Walleye Master

I have had great luck with the Rage Hypodermic

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:52 pm 
Walleye

grim reapers all the way, you can shoot them open or closed and have shot them through deer breaking shoulders and did not break! also through a steel 50 gallon drum... bent but did not break. the best mechanical broad head i have used. and at 1.75 inch diameter its one hell of a hole

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

The input is much appreciated guys. The kid has decided to try the Grim Reapers. The practice head seams to fly well, especially after paper tuning (thanks for the reminder on that one adventure). Now just need to get some seat time in and get him a shot.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:14 am 
Jumbo Perch

I personally like fixed blade broadheads. I shoot Slicktrick Grizztricks and have had good success with them. For lower poundage like what your son would be shooting I would choose a cut on contact head like the Vipertrick or Razortrick

Dan

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:17 pm 
Walleye

Rage!

banner ad