It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Moose hunt 2014
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

The GOOD- The BAD and The UGLY.
The Good- Being able to go all that way to WADA, spend 2 full weeks with one of the top moose
guides in northwestern Ontario, who is also my cousin and best friend, in our isolated, remote cabin
on Angood lake.
The bad-with the cutbacks by the MNRF, we only had calf tags. The weather, 14-17 degrees every day
High winds, and unbearable BLACKFLYS. And the totally unessessary harassment by the fish cops
every day for more than a week.
The UGLY- the 55" bull & mature cow moose shot dead and left to rot on the side of the road.

Started scouting opening day for my calf, finally found where a cow and calf were living for quite
some time, (beds and chewed brush) - 3 days later left tem alone, and decided to chicken hunt till
Sunday, hoping for colder weather to move in, drove logging roadson Thurs. had a good shoot of
(chickens- Ruffed Grouse) (prairie chickens - Sharptails- fun but tough to hit)- and( Spruce Grouse)
No thanks. Stopped by fish cops, who did a full check of tags, licenses, guns and ammo, and our game
Bag. They left us with a stern and rude warning - that they would not tolerate party hunting for chickens. 2 hours later, stopped by same 2 fish cops, same routine, lic. Guns ammo etc.and a warning
Of nonparty hunting for chickens. A few hrs. Lateron our way back to our cabin- stopped again by same 2 fish cops- I finally said that if this was a sexual thing I was not interested. They left. A couple more days of chicken hunting,boy for the flocks of Sharptails up there they are a tough shoot, only got 3
For a total of about 35 chickens. Started moose hunting on Sunday, looked up and wondered why the
MNRF aircraft was circling above me 3 times, this *** happened again the net day. I was not party
hunting for chickens. Found my cow and calf. Got BUSTED big time 3 days in a row by the smartest,
trickiest cow moose I have ever hunted. Saw a total of 8 shootable adults, a few cows nd more bulls
And of course the amazing cow and calf.
Another amazing chapter of moose hunting in WADA (Thanks Dave) the moose are plentiful up there
I will be back. It was a great hunt.
Donn

Post subject: Re: Moose hunt 2014
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:12 pm 
Walleye Master

Glad to hear you made the trip up and had the chance to get some forest chickens and see the moose you did. Sounds like the cow and calf had your number this year. But that's ok, just means you will get them next year. It must have been great to have two weeks up there kike that. Too bad about the black flies and that the game wardens didn't do a better job of checking everything was proper then just leave you alone.

I never made it up there this year and feel like there is a big hole in my hunting season without a moose hunt. I can't wait to go again. It's great to hear your trip was safe and to hear about your adventures way up in Wada.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 am 
Walleye Angler

Sounds like a great trip Don! To bad the CO's for some reason liked checking you over and over again. I guess maybe you were the only ones around to check . Good luck next year , sounds like a special place you have there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:11 pm 
Walleye

Where is WADA?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

Fishnmachine, WADA is a line I have borrowed from a very respected member of this board,and I
love it and have used it for a couple of years now. WADA the f.... Up there is along way up there.
Sioux Lookout, Lac Seul area of northwestern Ontario. Prime moose country.
Donn

banner ad