Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:20 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

Boat hunting the end of December , wow unheard of ... I just love having a friend on Brighton Bay when he texts me and says " hey , I see some of those ducks with the red heads in the bay " I text back well you might here is shooting tomorrow .. Long story short , had 12 ducks by 9:00 and 2 geese with 3 redheads. 2 drakes and 1 hen the rest blue bills .. ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:12 am 
Guppy

It seem that I can't send a PM for some reason (probably me). Would you be willing to share the location of the boat launch you use. I would like to bring the layout boat down tomorrow for a hunt. Please PM or text or call me at 289.200.9787.

Thanks
Viktor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:15 am 
Walleye Angler

I launch at a private boat launch on someone's property , I would of liked to go back ,but she's froze over now again. -13 last night and not looking like it is going to be higher than -3 the rest of the week ..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:07 am 
Walleye Angler

Love to see those exotic ducks, and yer boys being brought up in the tradition.

Are those bluebills or broadbills? I've never seen broadbills close up ( or redheads/cans for that matter) but those look awful big.

Maple

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:12 pm 
Baitfish

cather good shooting. My sister has a place along that stretch and I was hoping to get out this weekend but I guess not with the colder temps.

Just a side note, I was hunting the Bay in the middle of Nov and I had this guy and his dog in a light blue canoe sit on the edge of my decoy spread a couple of times as he paddled around the area. I was pleasant to him as I didn't want to start anything, he never spoke one word to us...have you ever run into this guy before??

take care,
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

Robb wrote:
cather good shooting. My sister has a place along that stretch and I was hoping to get out this weekend but I guess not with the colder temps.

Just a side note, I was hunting the Bay in the middle of Nov and I had this guy and his dog in a light blue canoe sit on the edge of my decoy spread a couple of times as he paddled around the area. I was pleasant to him as I didn't want to start anything, he never spoke one word to us...have you ever run into this guy before??

take care,
Rob

Nope never a problem there, but we did have a problem with another guy in a canoe at another spot this year , next time take your phone and video it, I have talked to the CO's and it is a federal offence to interfere with your hunt . But sounds like your guy might know the laws already since he is not communicating with you . Good luck .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

Maple wrote:
Love to see those exotic ducks, and yer boys being brought up in the tradition.

Are those bluebills or broadbills? I've never seen broadbills close up ( or redheads/cans for that matter) but those look awful big.

Bluebills , broadbills are the same, they are just nicknames for greater scaup. And Ya I just love hunting these different ducks , we also got some canvasbacks this year as well ( see earlier post ) one of the best years for divers this year.
Hopefully we can get out ice fishing this year Maple..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:54 pm 
Perch

Nice shoot there Catcher, most definitely quality birds, they're still around. Gotta love those red heads. We opted to kill some other heads yesterday......well green mostly. Buddy had his already in his boat as we packed up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:40 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the bad news :(. Hopefully next year I'll get down there again. We have been doing a lot of layout hunting on Lake Simcoe in the past three weeks. Mainly goldeneyes and buffleheads. Lots of birds seeing as it's the only open water around. If for some reason it opens up before the season closes could you post for us diehards.

Thanks
Viktor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:13 am 
Walleye Angler

That's why I was asking Catcher.

I always understood bluebills were lesser scaup and broadbills were greater scaup.

Don't get many greater scaup up here on the Ottawa but lots on the St Lawrence River.

Maple

banner ad