All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Moose Regs Out
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 am 
Walleye Fry

https://www.ontario.ca/travel-and-recre ... nd-updates

Post subject: Re: New Moose Regs Out
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:22 pm 
Walleye Master

I have mixed thoughts on these changes. One hand says we probably aren't getting a tag this year again. Other hand says, if the population is decreasing as they say, I hope this helps stabilize them in the long run and it is for the best. I would rather see restrictions put in place before it is too late and help the population rather than see them decline further. Even if it means not going for a few years.

Deer as an example (WMU 71):
In the 90's, they said there were too many deer in this area so they opened up the hunting seasons. We used to have a 1 week shotgun only season, bow starting Oct 15th and only one tag allowed They changed this to a 2 week shotgun\muzzleloader season, bow starting Oct. 1st, a new 1 week blackpowder season and they allowed additional tags. Deer population dropped quickly over the next few years and now they are way down from what they were. I used to count 30 deer behind my house this time of year, so far I have seen 2. I used to count well over 150 in the Wooler swamp coming out of their winter yard, this year I only counted 53.
Its my opinion they didn't react fast enough to cut back the deer regulations after they opened them up and that is why their population is still way down in my area from what it was. If they had made a happy medium with the seasons when the numbers were still high, but not excessive, there still might be a lot more around than there is now.

Back to moose, I know there are many other factors involved in the population, but I hope this helps to keep the population stable. I want to take my young boys moose hunting when they are old enough.

I'm curious to hear what others think of the changes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

Adventure, I agree with most of what you say about the future of good deer and moose hunting
across Ontario, but I believe the MNRF's and now their new bed partner OFAH have done a very poor
Job in the survey from the air,which they admit to. On late spring or early summer fishing trips to
the same area as I hunt, calf moose are plentiful, even many twins, come October it is very difficult
to find a calf or any signs. Looking at the damage done to my cabin by the over population of bears in
The area , and the actual sighting of packs of wolves and tracks everywhere, more time should be
spent on bear and wolf populations in the northwest part of the province. With the premature
Cutbacks on adult moose tags and a ridiculous calf season, I find moose hunting with any hope of a
kill almost impossible in WMU 5. After over 50 years of great moose hunting in the area, I cannot
see my self spending around 3,000 $ for 10 bush chickens. Spotted 13 shootable adult moose
in the 2nd week of last years hunt. No tags. I'm now going to remove all OFAH stickers on my Jeep.
Have a great hunt guys.
Donn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:09 am 
Walleye Master

I'd like to see more of a focus on controlling ticks that are known moose killers (Algonquin in the late '90's).

As to the new moose regs, I just hope they are making the right changes for the right reasons at the right time and start to do a better job of managing big game populations in general.

banner ad