Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

Last year was my first year baiting. I tried many different things and learnt a lot. We managed 2 bears off one bait but they seemed to loose interest I know there was at least 6 to 12 bears hitting it. I was putting lots of food, dog food, corn, apples, garbage bags of buns, cakes upon cakes. Is there such thing as over feeding? A lot of stuff never got touched like the buns, sardines, and even buns covered in chocolate sauce. We ended up with a lot of mouldy rotten mess around the bait barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:53 am 
Walleye Master

Last year I drew them in with 50 lbs of corn, 5 gallons of water and a 26'er of molasses. I had lots on camera in August. Someone else in the area was using oats as I saw in a pile of scat near my bait.

Turns out the guy using oats was an outfitter. My mistake last year was going the last week of September. He took 7 bears nearby in the first two weeks of September. Explained why all the other bears disappeared on me and the big one would only come late at night.

So you might want to try mixing in some grain and be sure to hunt the first week of the season before they get hunter shy.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:14 am 
Walleye Angler

I have nothing against hunting, however never considered SHOOTING over bait hunting.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:28 am 
Walleye Master

horsehunter wrote:
never considered SHOOTING over bait hunting.

You should consider it. It gives a great opportunity to evaluate a bear and also to ensure it is not accompanied by cubs. It is also a great way to wait for the ideal shot placement to ensure a clean kill. It would be nice if we could stalk up to them like you can out west or in Alaska, but the thick heavy bush around here where they live simply does not allow for that.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:49 am 
Walleye Angler

horsehunter wrote:
I have nothing against hunting, however never considered SHOOTING over bait hunting.

You simply dont understand bear hunting . Do some research before posting ok?

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:59 am 
Walleye Angler

The main excitement is getting coming and seeing the pics. The shooting is the easy part but the eating is the best in the woods.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:13 am 
Jumbo Perch

I had the best luck with Kentucky fried chicken grease. Bears love it and when they leave, they lay a sent trail for others to follow in. Good luck and happy hunting!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

Perchslayer666 wrote:
horsehunter wrote:

You simply dont understand bear hunting . Do some research before posting ok?

I understand shooting any animal including donut eating bears over bait is not hunting. I am not anti hunting and my research includes living where bear are hunted both over baits and formerly with hounds which I don't see as much of since the closing of the spring bear hunt something I would like to see return.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:11 pm 
Walleye Angler

I do believe the spring bear hunt is back so maybe it's time to break out the hounds. Sure don't see why your taking shots at bait hunting when you sic dogs on them and run a terrified bear up a tree. The dogs then keep the tramitized bear "treed" until you the big white Hunter comes along and shots it. If I ever hunt bear I will bring the donuts.
Cheers Rob

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:15 am 
Walleye Angler

Rob and others I do not hunt or shoot bear although I do like some forms of hunting I do less and less because it interferes with fall muskie fishing. What I said and I am entitled to my opinion as others are theirs is I don't consider SHOOTING over bait HUNTING

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:21 pm 
Walleye Master

Agreed, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you use bait on a hook, is that considered fishing?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:13 pm 
Minnow

Kentucky chicken sounds good make bear tastier

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:01 am 
Walleye Master

I guess my question is do you think shooting a deer in a grass field hunting over bait, or shooting a deer under an apple tree or a nut tree dropping nuts hunting over bait. shooting geese trying to land in a corn field hunting over bait? . do you think a guy out deer hunting and sees a bear and then shoots the bear a better hunter for killing an animal when he sees it and has a tag ? I hunt bears over bait with a compound bow and never kill them even when I see them I want the right bear at the right time yet I feed them watch and study them just because they are there does not mean I have to kill them.... but with all the bush you have little to no chance at all of seeing a bear let alone killing one by just walking around like a grouse hunter . I would like nothing better than killing a 600 pound bruin but it can be argued that a 150 pound bear taste a heck of a lot better, when it comes to hunting is there really a right or a wrong ? or just a toss up due to opinions?

banner ad
banner ad