Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:54 am 
Walleye Angler

Looking for a lighter rifle for deer hunting for my 12 year old. Something big enough to take down a deer, but not too big/heavy too carry, or make a mess of the meat. last week's hunt we got 2 bucks with a 30:06 and it tears them up pretty good, so some lost meat. I only have a 30:06 so looking for advice on what would be the ideal light deer rifle, and also looking to purchase one in good condition.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:54 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Jamie,

I remember my Grandmothers gun that she used to shoot small deer, over 55 years ago. She used a single shot bolt action 25. From what I remember it was the smallest caliber used for deer. I don't hunt anymore so I'm not up on whether such a gun exists any more.

BATMAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:57 pm 
Perch

243 great caliber for deer and yotes. Little recoil and savage makes a compact model with a shorter length of pull. You can get them on sale for under 500 with a scope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

Try a 30/30. Works good and light

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

same as above 243 or 30/30 would be perfect. Plenty big enough with reduced recoil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:42 pm 
Goby

Jamie99 wrote:
Looking for a lighter rifle for deer hunting for my 12 year old. Something big enough to take down a deer, but not too big/heavy too carry, or make a mess of the meat. last week's hunt we got 2 bucks with a 30:06 and it tears them up pretty good, so some lost meat. I only have a 30:06 so looking for advice on what would be the ideal light deer rifle, and also looking to purchase one in good condition.

Just purchased a Savage 220 20ga bolt action shotgun. Highly accurate and light recoil. Opens up so many more season opportunities

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:13 am 
Walleye Catcher

Sailor71 wrote:
Jamie99 wrote:

Just purchased a Savage 220 20ga bolt action shotgun. Highly accurate and light recoil. Opens up so many more season opportunities

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:15 am 
Walleye Angler

tks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to get a .243. sounds like a good deer rifle that's light enough for my boy. No scope until he masters open sights!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:33 am 
Guppy

Deer hunting rifles don't have to be large to be effective. And if you get out and get out of the car, the lab, then a big rifle can become a heavy burden. The Hawkeye compact model is a small and lightweight rifle. Still, it retains the traditional design with a walnut bed and glossy blue polishing.
Rifle caliber .243 or 7 mm 08 weighs 2.75 kg- ideal for most cases of white-tailed deer hunting in the east. It's also nice to walk in the mountains in the west with her. The retail price is $900.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:27 pm 
Goby

I understand what you're looking for! My son is the same age and we went through the same problem when we started hunting together. I'd recommend checking out the Bergara BXR in .22LR. It's super lightweight, easy to carry, and won't ruin the meat as a bigger caliber would. Plus, it's a semi-auto so your kiddo can get plenty of practice in before hitting the deer stand. Check it out at https://walkeroutdoors.net/product/bergara-bxr-22lr-semi-auto/ and see if it's the right fit for you! This shop usually has the best choice of rifles and other firearms because they get them directly from the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:28 am 
Walleye

Kumarihta wrote:
I understand what you're looking for! My son is the same age and we went through the same problem when we started hunting together. I'd recommend checking out the Bergara BXR in .22LR. It's super lightweight, easy to carry, and won't ruin the meat as a bigger caliber would. Plus, it's a semi-auto so your kiddo can get plenty of practice in before hitting the deer stand. Check it out at https://walkeroutdoors.net/product/bergara-bxr-22lr-semi-auto/ and see if it's the right fit for you! This shop usually has the best choice of rifles and other firearms because they get them directly from the manufacturer.

That's not legal for deer hunting!!

banner ad