Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Goose Calls???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:21 am 
Jumbo Perch

Hey dudes,

I am currently using a Primos Flute call, and it works, but it is limited in what I can do. Not sure if anyone has suggestions in how to get a good cluck out of it??

What about short reed calls? What are you guys using, and what are the best calls...for the money??

Also, using flags in a ground blind. Is it worth the effort, or does it scare away more geese than it attracts? If I use it, when do I flag and when do I stop flagging??

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Goose Calls???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

man i baught the primos honky tonk short reed and you can make all kinds of music it work well and is easy to blow check it out its about 30 bucks

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:08 pm 
Walleye

check out the quack heads goosezilla. i picked one up for $30 bucks and it sounds really good. i don't think you can bet this call for the price.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:39 pm 
Walleye Master

Flutes are very limited in what you can get out of them. It is near impossilbe to get a double cluck out a flute.

A good short reed call is worth every penny. It was hard at first for me to make the switch, I just couldn't get the short reed to sound like a goose. I almost gave up trying, but I kept at it. I would keep it in my truck and just blow on it everywhere I went (mainly because my wife wouldn't let me do it in the house :lol: ). It was like somebody turned a lightswitch on one day. It sounded awful then all of a sudden it sounded like a goose, just took awhile to get the right sound. I won't call myself the worlds best caller, but its a heck of a lot better then Iwas with a flute.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 am 
Walleye Angler

Flutes are the easiest to master for sure. But a short reed is the way to go but like Westlakewillows stated they are the hardest to learn. I want to switch but just have not commited to all the practice it takes to get real good , so I stick with the flute. I can do every call on the flute just the volume is not there that is all. I usually always flag if we are hunting a field. It just gives some movement to your spread, But just becarefull that if they are committed to your spread you might want to stop flagging because you do not want to draw to much attention to your blinds. Once the season gets on and the geese get shot at a few times you need to make your spread the most realistic as possible. So flagging can be the deciding factor to convince those honkers there are real birds down there. Also full body decoys is the ticket , try to get away from silloutes and shells later in the season, everybody has them and the geese will spot them out as well. They are ok for early birds but they get smarter later in the season and will pick these out.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:03 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks for all the help, guys.

We ended up getting five more this past Saturday. My buddy loaned me his Knight & Hale "Double Cluck Plus" short reed. Jesus, sounds like I'm choking a cat...or worse...but I'll keep practicing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:20 pm 
Walleye Master

I have the Knight & Hale as well. I really had to play around with it to get the right sound. Very small movements on the reed make a big difference. I found mine to be best about 1 mm above the line on the tall piece and the reed about 0.5mm below the hollow portion.
I find the best single "honk" is by turning the call backwards and breathing in.
...and a lot of practice.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:16 am 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks Adventure

Great pics...and tips

Shaner

banner ad
banner ad