Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: help anyone
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:35 pm 
Perch

hi there..... I just shot my first deer a little more then a week ago. got it back today from the butchers but it doesn't seem like much meat I could be wrong but from a 150lb doe I got back 2-4lbs roasts 8lbs of hip steak 8lbs of loin steaks and 22lbs of burger so 46 lbs in total. first I am upset with all the burger I was told they were only going to use scap for burger and watching video's online on how to butcher it looks like they got a hell of alot more meat from a deer that was only 100lbs again any help would be appreciated but I thaught I would get some input before I call the butcher and ask what the hell in case this is sounds right

thanks

Post subject: Re: help anyone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:19 am 
Walleye Catcher

Aaron, Deer can be a bit of an illusion. Judging deer when they are hanging VS when they are all laid out in the freeze can be a totally different vision. Deer are one of those animals where there is a lot of wasted weight and with very little meat in a lot of areas. They have those long skinny legs and a huge skeleton. Keep in mind how much the head, hide, and legs weigh once they are removed. This has now put your weight of 150lbs down to around the 100lb mark. Depending on how much "shot" waste if any that the butcher would have had to remove as well as the amount of bone and fat that would have gone to waste your probably not far from the weight you got. Its kinda of one of those grey areas where its hard to know how your meat was handled (cleanliness) or if the butcher had kept any of your meat.
In order to keep your mind at peace you should ask around for a reputable butcher or best yet do it your self. It is surprisingly so easy to do and the best thing is you get the cuts you want, you know how the meat was handled and cleaned and you get to package it securely and properly marked the way you want it.
Keep in mind the quality and amount of meat you get start with the hunter. Look after the animal and shot areas right from the start and you will be pleased in the end.
When you get your next deer give me a shout. I would be glad to teach you how to butcher your own deer. I guarantee you will be more then happy doing it your self.
Hope this helped. Jason

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:22 am 
Walleye Angler

I have a good friend who buther's deer and I have watched him do many over the years. And the average meat you will receive back from a deer is enough that will fill a bananna box from a grocery store, once it is all processed and wrapped. Now that is to the top of the box and if the deer is bigger than it will heap a bit over the top of the box but to the top is the average. And that will also depend on how much waste there is from the shot. I have seen 200 pounds of buck only fill half a box from the damage from shooting the deer numerous times and I have see 100 pound does fill a box to the top. You actually IMO want a butcher to be picky and not give you questionable cuts just so you are happy you got a lot back. It sounds like the butcher you used gave you sirlon tip roasts and the rest of the leg which are the rounds he gave you leg steaks and then of course the loin chops. And he boned out the shoulders from the shot damage and gave that to you in burger which sounds about right to me for how much you got back. Hope this helps. If you want I can give you my friends number and you can talk to him and get his opinion on it as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:20 am 
Perch

Jason that sounds awsome for sure I will give you a call I would love to learn how to do my own and like you say that way you get the cuts you want and no how it was handled. Again thanks for the info. Right on you should come out with us sometime. right on thanks catcher for the input. I have talked to a couple of people now and they all say the same thing. I guess like you say it is hard to tell by looking at the carkus I just thaught there would be more steaks then that. thanks again guys for your help it has put my mind at ease.

banner ad