Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Northern Ducks down?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:23 am 
Walleye Master

I've been home bound more often than not this year and have a few days off for deer season. I was wondering if the northern ducks are down yet as I want to try for them between trips to the tree stand.

Post subject: Re: Northern Ducks down?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:00 am 
Walleye Catcher

I was out yesterday for a few hours. A good number of northern mallards are here and lots of black ducks. Noticed a few good rafts of blues and a couple of buffelheads. 'Thye are here but another week and it should be really good.
GL
Sheldon

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:26 am 
Walleye Master

They are here in good numbers in my area. Nice to see rafts of ducks out there. Some guys in front of my place had a hunt of a life time yesterday. Almost non-stop shotting. Must have gone through hundreds of shells. The ducks would come down our shore line and turn up into their spread. There seemed like an endless stream of ducks coming into them. Maybe with the big lake really blown up the ducks were looking for cover and they were in the right place at the right time. They were back this morning but with nowhere near the same results. A little bit of shooting but few and far between. Isn't that the way it goes.

Got guys out all week. Looking forward to it.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:32 am 
Walleye Fingerling

West Lake Willows wrote:
They are here in good numbers in my area. Nice to see rafts of ducks out there. Some guys in front of my place had a hunt of a life time yesterday. Almost non-stop shotting. Must have gone through hundreds of shells. The ducks would come down our shore line and turn up into their spread. There seemed like an endless stream of ducks coming into them. Maybe with the big lake really blown up the ducks were looking for cover and they were in the right place at the right time. They were back this morning but with nowhere near the same results. A little bit of shooting but few and far between. Isn't that the way it goes.

Got guys out all week. Looking forward to it.

Scott

That many shells? What's the bag limit up there? Must have been some poor shooting?

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

doesn't take long to fire the rounds off when the birds are flying last time i was out was with sheldon and i know i shot 3 boxes easy my dad shot at least three we did do well with the blue bills tho lots and lots of fun man :D

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:48 am 
Walleye Fingerling

I know. I hope I didn't come across as negative. That wasn't my goal. In the states, well atleast NY, we can only shoot 6 birds. Only 2 of which can be scaup. It doesn't take long to limit out in most cases. Opening morning I was done in an hour. 6 ducks, 18 rounds fired. I was happy with that since I don't consider myself a very good shot.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 am 
Walleye Fingerling

I was just looking at your Ontario regs. Am I reading them right? All 6 of your ducks can be bluebills? That is sweet. That would make for some great shooting.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:32 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for the info on the northerns guys. I am planning my few days holiday and want to try to cram in as much hunting and fishing as I can. Hopefully I don't need a 100 rounds...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:31 pm 
Walleye Master

forgot about the hunting section for a bit there with all the fishing. Anyway, my "hundreds" of shells was just a ball park estimate, but I kid you not they were shooting almost none stop. I'm sure they shot a lot of times. You really can go through shells in a hurry especially if you aren't a picky shooter. THey were also shooting out of a layout boat, so you never know how many guys they had in the chase boat, could have been switching guys out and just shooting at everything. They really did go through a ton of shells.

I had two incredible hunts like that this year. One in mid November and one in early December. Both days we limited out with a steady stream of birds. Both hunts were out of the blind boat and we were taking turns shooting and on the first one I would only let the guys shoot one shell just to make the hunt last longer. It was unbelievable. Tons and tons of fun.

The second one happened to be with Mark Romaneck and Bruce Deshano and his son Nick (the owners of Offshore tackle). They loved it and have hunted all over the world. I was very thankful to have such a stellar day with such stellar guests. Got very lucky. It was pretty cool.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:38 pm 
Walleye Master

I have to learn this layout boat technique in the big lake. Sounds like a lot of fun. All my duck hunting is in the back ponds and creeks with a bit of marsh hunting on the Trent. Fun too, but not near that amount of action.

banner ad