Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:04 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:45 am 
Site Admin

I'm considering using the hds 5 on the ice since is i see it can be used with the portable power pak 161. This would give me gps capabilities/mapping and a sonar. I know it has a flasher mode but not sure what the performance would be like. What kind of target separation can i expect? The reason i'm thinking about this unit is come softwaterseason i can add it to my boat on the bow and network it with the hds 7 i have at the console. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:12 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Dan,

To start off, I have not used an HDS on the ice. But that said, I have two HDS-5's on my boat and I use the flasher mode on the front of my boat quite often when I fish deeper than 30 ft. I find it works similar to my Vexilar, that I use in the winter. I also use an older model LMS334ci with the ice fishing kit with the ice-ducer. It works with the HDS-5 also. My HDS's were new this past spring, so I have not had a chance to try them on the ice. I do however see a difference between the LMS334 and the HDS-5. The HDS shows far more detail. I am very happy with the HDS's. I think I may be even catching more fish because of them.

I have my two HDS-5's networked using LowranceNet. I have my 150 HO Etec on the network. I have not used the network capabilities to the fullest yet, but I do like seeing all the data that comes from my outboard.

Keep in mind if you use an HDS on the ice, I suspect you will need to keep a spare battery with you. Its not like a regular flasher that uses hardly any power to run. My LMS334 is a battery hog.

If I must choose between finders to use on the ice, I will always pick my Vexilar Flasher. Flashers are made for the application and they prove themselves over and over.

Happy New Year,
BATMAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

When you were fishing with your lms334ci on the ice were you able to fine tune settings so that you could see your jig move? Thanks for your comments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:29 pm 
Walleye Master

I do, i bought a kit of ebay, that has gps puck as well.
if you sit in the driver seat of your boat, drop your line down. it picks up your bait, your bait will be a flat line, if you jig it. it will move up. then fall back down. (does the same in regular mode ice fishing)

I had one of my Hds-5's break in the spring, you probly remember the posts, was still covered under warranty, so i made the trip, (past toronto) and got a new one on the spot.
but i wounder if it was the unit i had used in the winter before.
(i take both of the boat and store them inside, during winter).
i have since bought a ice unit, and i phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 am 
Walleye Catcher

I had a bunch of units last winter on the ice to test. Lowrance X67Ice, Mark5x, Elite5x, X-510, and the HDS5. Of all of them the HDS performed the best. You can adjust the ping speed and scroll speed on this unit to make it super quick (just like a flasher). I didn't get a chance to try it in extremely cold conditions where the cold would cause the display to slow down but at -10 to -5 it worked great.

I would highly recommend getting a second battery as well. I used a 7amp hr 12V gel cell with mine and got about 6hrs of use. I'd recommend a 9amp hr gel cell for better results. That should get you about 8 hrs of use.

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:46 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Dan,

I would recommend you jack up the ping and scroll speed to maximum (100%). Sensitivity setting should not need to be too high. (Maybe 30%) You can also switch between transducer frequencies (80 and 200 Mhz) to help reduce interference from another ice fishing buddies unit.

The HDS has a very fast screen. On the right side of the screen there is a instant view bar. It's about 1/4 wide, which is wider than the same feature on my older LMS. You see a fish on the instant view bar just before it shows up on the main screen. It comes in handy.

BATMAN 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:25 am 
Walleye Catcher

BATMAN wrote:
I would recommend you jack up the ping and scroll speed to maximum (100%). Sensitivity setting should not need to be too high. (Maybe 30%) You can also switch between transducer frequencies (80 and 200 Mhz) to help reduce interference from another ice fishing buddies unit.
BATMAN 8)

That is the key with any LCD sonar unit to get it to perform on the ice as close to a flasher as possible

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Well i am quite happy with the performance of the hds 5 on the ice. Good target separation. quick response time and really luv having the gps/mapping. It fishes the same as the ice 67. You can tell for sure when a fish comes in if its a big fish or a perch. Also can see my bait lying on bottom. the trade off on running this unit is it does use up the battery juice pretty good. Got about 5 hrs out of a 7amp battery but I didnt turn down the bascklight brightness. That said, the 181 PP is able to carry 2 batteries so after I pick up a 9amp battery I should be able to go all day. Radioworld had everything in stock and at my door next day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey dan, are you able to turn the gps engine off on that unit? I do this on my 522c once I get to my spot, help prolong battery life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

I dont know if you can turn it off or not. I will probably just buy a second battery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

On my 522, you go into the gps menu and hit "use in doors" . Then it's not constantly searching for satellites .... Spare battery s great too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 pm 
Walleye

My opinion is a little different, I used it a bunch of times and it just doesn't compete with a flasher, I find it slow to respond and there was always a delay no matter what I tried, I would personally stick to a high end flasher, you definatelly need 2 batteries, my unit didn't have gps but its one thing that's great to have on ice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Got2Fish,
I will look at the menu and see if i can do that.

Walleye-Jay,
There is a an ice fishing mode on the unit. I dont know if you treid that or not. I also took the others advice and cranked up the ping speed, scroll speed and played with the sensitivity.
I agree that a flasher would be nice but i'm happy with the compromise as I will be networking this unit with the HDS7 on my boat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 am 
Walleye

im maybe a little picky as im used to my flasher, tried all settings but still was not satisfied, like i said maybe im too picky, i even found the flasher mode slow too respond! it is however better than none!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:42 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hey Dan

I couldn't find any way to turn of the GPS like you were able to do on the older models. They must have taken that feature out.

Flasher or Graph, whatever you prefer its something that is essential for ice fishing!

-Lawren

banner ad