Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:28 am 
Walleye Angler

Hi Radioworld,

I'm looking for a fishfinder/chartplotter and like the looks and price of the Lowrance Elite5G and the Humminbird 788ciHD for instance, but I'm flexible. There are some details I need help with like:

-Does the Lowrance show GPS speed? Can't tell, but a 'paddlewheel transom speed/temp sensor' unit is available, which makes me wonder.
-Do I need to consider 'down scan imaging'? Never used it, don't know much about it.
-Is there an ice fishing transducer (or kit) for either of these? And what power source would be required?
-Is there much difference between the 480 (Lowrance) and 640 (Humminbird) displays?
-Are the on-board power needs the same ie. a 12 v battery?
-Anything else to help ease my decision?

Thanks,

Grant

Maple

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:45 am 
Walleye

i own an elite 5. great unit. It does show speed and water temp w/o any extra's. If you are using the fishing finder for "fish finding" no i wouldnt buy the down imagining, the regular finder works great, if you are looking for specific structures buy the down imagining. works great as an ice finder also, the kit is around $200 for your ice transducer and carry case, well worth it, espcially if you want to carry a GPS/sonar ice fishing with you. I have mine hooked up to my cranking battery and havent had any issues. without going to a highend unit, this finder is awesome... just my .02cents

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:54 pm 
Walleye Catcher

The Elite 5 will show GPS speed out of the box, but you can add an optional paddle wheel speed sensor for your water speed. That option is not near as popular as it once was though.

DSI is a great tool to have as a compliment to a traditional sonar. I wouldn't recommend it as your primary unit though so if you choose Lowrance your going to have to choose DSI or traditional sonar because they don't come in 1 unit with the Elite series. Humminbird on the other hand has the 788ci HD DI, 597ci HD DI, or the 587ci HD DI that have both traditional sonar and Down Imaging. The reason why....
beaner wrote:
If you are using the fishing finder for "fish finding" no i wouldnt buy the down imagining, the regular finder works great, if you are looking for specific structures buy the down imagining.
Beaner hit the nail on the head

Both Lowrance and Humminbird have ice transducers which are about $100-125 or the full ice kit for $200 or so.

There isn't a huge difference between the 480 and 640, but the 640 is a shaper picture for sure. Does it make a difference though? Hard to say.

I would take a look at Humminbird if you want the Down Imaging and Lowrance if you don't care so much about it but want the included mapping.

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

banner ad