Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:29 pm 
Guppy

First of all, being new to the area, I have been monitoring this site since the fall and I am very impressed with the amount of detailed information that is shared. I feel I have learned alot about the area from where to launch to what to try on the water, thanks.

I have a GPS acting up that says "GPS Module Not Responding", I know this is not the first Lowrance to have this issue and I have done all my homework from checking wires, power to he puck and talking to Lawren at Radio World.

I'm wondering if anyone in the Quinte area has the same setup as me that I could plug my head unit into and determine if its the head unit or antenna. My antenna is the LGC-3000 with the blue connector.

Thanks in advance.

Russ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

have you checked the lowrance website support section to see if there are any download updates for both the unit and the gps puck? I had the same problem with a different unit and there was a download for the gps puck that fixed the problem. Just a suggestion

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:45 pm 
Guppy

I'm running the 2.5 software in the unit can't find any update for the 3000 puck. Thanks anyway Dan.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:06 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Darkmistress,

Did you try all the troubleshooting tips recommended by Lowrance?

Module Not Responding LGC-3000/LGC-2000 / LGC-Baja

These GPS modules are designed to operate with NMEA 2000 compatible systems. These require a power supply to operate. This is either supplied directly to the network or through an extra cable (NMEA 2000 Power) on the unit power cable. This is often overlooked.

Ensure proper power is supplied to the unit for operation. Follow trouble shooting for blue connector unit power related issues here or red connector unit power related issues here if needed.

Ensure proper power is being provided to the GPS module. If not configured for a network, power should also be applied to the NMEA 2000 Power cable. Apply the red wire to a fused (3A) +12V supply. Ground both the black wire and the shielded ground (bare wire). To determine if an interruption in power is preventing the GPS operation, review this document.

Check and clean connections between the display portion of the unit and the GPS module. A minimum of two connections will be in the cabling and possibly more. Trace the cable and clean contacts at each connector as needed. Clean all connections with an anti-corrosion clean for electronics as needed.

Ensure that a Liner Architecture is observed if using a LowranceNET or NMEA 2000 network.

Check the terminating resistor(s). There may be one 60 Ohm terminator or two 120 Ohm terminators. Simply check the short end of the Y cable. If a hard plastic "T" is in use, check the end for the terminator. Any evidence of scorch or fowling may indicate a replacement terminator or cable should be obtained.

Isolate the RS-232 communications (NMEA-0183) cable. This will have 4 wires, yellow/Orange/Blue/Shield. Tape each wire individually and then together if not using the NMEA communications.

Update the unit and the GPS module to their latest software version. If an earlier version of software for a module is operated with an newer version of the unit, communications may not function properly. Update the unit and GPS module accordingly by following this link.

Reset the unit. Resets for your particular unit are available HERE.

After updating, check the NMEA 2000 Bus. Press menu from a main operating page and select the NMEA 2000 menu and choose the Bus Setup option. If other devices on the network are visible, check the connection at the GPS module to the network as well as other cabling between the module and other properly operating devices. If the LGC-2000 is visible, select this option to view data for software version, and additional data. The status may indicate not-configured or OK. If not configured, change the instance to 255.

Reset the network by removing power from the NMEA 2000 power cable. Keep power off for a couple minutes to allow all devices to properly reset. Reapply power to the network.

If problems persist, it is difficult to determine the actual fault due to the cables, terminators and other devices in use. Attempting operation on another available system to isolate the communication error is ideal if possible.

Note: The LCG-3000 is now obsolete. It has been replaced by the LCG-4000. Does look like there is software for the GPS module, only the LMS-520C display. I would think the 520 upgrade would have all available connecting components such as transducers and GPS units as part of the software upgrade.

BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:22 pm 
Guppy

all wiring checks are good, its looking like the puck is dead.

Thanks for the help Batman

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:14 am 
Walleye Master

I have an LGC 3000 mounted on my hardtop.. Boat is in the water on a lift. Come for a drive, we'll plug your screen into my puck and see if it works. You would need your power cord though as mine won't work with your screen.

Scott
Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:35 am 
Guppy

I will have to see about cutting the wire harness out of my boat for the power cable( didn't really want to do that if i don't have to). I guess i was wrong in my original post the network connection on the back of the head unit is Red not Blue, its only the sonar and data connection that are blue, would this still hook up to your setup?

Thanks for the help Scott.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:17 am 
Walleye Master

I actually have the lgc 4000 but my understanding is that they are interchangeable. The puck connects via nmea 2000 so it will work fine. If you bring your head unit and a power cord we'll just hook you up quick and see if the puck works for you.

Scott

Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:11 pm 
Guppy

Scott pm sent.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:39 pm 
Walleye Angler

Russ, I have a spare LGC 3000 antennae you are welcome to try.

Kevin

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:17 am 
Walleye Catcher

I'm going to say its most likely your antenna. Hopefully you can take advantage of the offers from these site members and try their antenna to narrow down your problem.

If it is the antenna, the LGC-4000 is an upgraded model that updates 5 times per second so shop around before going ahead with a repair from Lowrance. It might be worth it to upgrade.

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:43 pm 
Guppy

Scott at West Lake Willows let me slave my unit into his boat last night and we concluded it is the antenna that is dead.

Scott, thanks again for your help.

banner ad
banner ad