Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:28 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Structure Scan Add-on
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:51 pm 
Guppy

I plan to buy an HDS-8 and structure scan to go along with my 7.

Whats your opinion on the lss units. Stumped on whether to take the rebate with 1, or wait and grab the newer version being released.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:30 pm 
Walleye Master

The biggest difference between the gen1 and gen2 units is the structure scan. If you are getting structure scan I'd highly recommend the gen2.. The faster processor will shine and the overlay on the map is amazing. You'll also love that it stores the info so make a few passes of a structure before fishing then fish the rocks and structure you want to by staying just off the and casting to the structure. Very cool features.

Scott

Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:20 pm 
Guppy

I love the new structure map stuff. So ill most likely grab the gen 2 unit.

What about the lss1 or lss2? The rebate is ending at the end up April, and version 1 is being discontinued. Still unsure of which to go for. To my understanding lss2 should be out around the end of April also.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:41 pm 
Walleye Master

Sorry, rereading your original post it is obvious you are talking about the lss not the hds.

I don't have any first hand experience with the lss1 vs lss2, however, I understand it has sharper resolution and better clarity.

Here is a good thread with pictures.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-elec ... ons-2.html

Scott

Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:22 am 
Walleye Catcher

One thing to note on the LSS-2 is the size of the transducer. Its going to be 10 inches long. Thats 4 more than the LSS-1. I don't think it is a big deal but we have had some customers complaining that they wouldn't have any room on their boat.

The LSS-1 is awesome and has done a great job for the 3 years its been out. If you are looking for a great deal than go with the LSS-1 because you won't be able to beat that. If you want the latest and greatest then the LSS-2 is the way to go. If you have a Gen2 then I would go with the LSS-2 because you can see so much further with it and that will help with the StructureMap feature.

I would think that the LSS-2 is going to be less work as well seeing that it is only 1 frequency and the LSS-1 has 2 frequencies. It sounds like the LSS-2 is going to have the best of both worlds (detail and distance) in 1 frequency so you won't have to switch back and forth constantly.

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:35 am 
Walleye Master

Lawren,

In reading the thread by the Lowrance field staff guys on the hulltruth link, it looks like the LSS2 transducer can be reversed an mounted up under the hull. This looks like a really cool option for mounting that will negate the factor of having the transducer sticking out.

Regarding the frequency, I remember one of the two frequencies was the same as the Fishhawk X4 speed and temp transducer. Is this still the case with the LSS2? I know I can look this up myself, but I'm lazy son of a gun and I know you have this info readily available in your knowledge bank. LOL

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 am 
Walleye Master

I believe Lawren had told me it was the downscan, that is on the same frequency as the FishhawkX4. The side-scan feature would not be effected.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 pm 
Walleye Catcher

It looks like I was wrong when I said DownScan Gene. It would be the 83kHz of the traditional sonar that the Fish Hawk may interfere with. The Fish Hawk sends out its signal at 70kHz, "Operates at unique frequency of 70KHz" according to their website. That would be close enough to possibly interfere with the 83kHz but the 200kHz should be fine. The Side and DownScan should be ok because they are 455 or 800kHz.

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:31 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks Lawren!

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad