banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:43 am 
Perch

I am having a problem with my Lowrance Structure Scan. It will not show imagery to the left. It works for the down image and it also works to the right but when I select left, or left and right, it shows just a black screen (or half black in the case of left and right) on my HDS7. I have checked and double checked that there wasn’t and interferences (screws, motor or anything) in the way of the signal, or damage to the transducer and can without a doubt say that there isn’t.

I am wondering if this a problem that someone has experienced before and may have some insight to share? Also wondering what else I can try?

To date the unit, it was purchased at Radioworld about a year and a half ago when Lowrance was offering many mail in rebates. It’s had very little use but the left scan did work fine at one time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mac

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:15 am 
Walleye Catcher

Hey Mac - My guess is the transducer could be faulty. If there is nothing blocking the signal then it should work without a problem...and given your down and right are working, its probably limited to the left sonar element. Those LSS units and transducers have been basically bullet proof. I haven't had a single one returned for being defective. The LSS should have a two year warranty on it so contact CMC electronics at 1-800-661-3983 for service.

If you have any problems let me know.

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:52 am 
Walleye Catcher

Do you see any surface clutter on the left side at all?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Perch

Thanks Lawren. I'll contact them and No I don't have any surface clutter at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:17 pm 
Perch

No luck with CMC electronics. spoke with Mark the technical guy and he said it is likely a crystal issue. He explained that there are 18 elements in the transducer and that although highly uncommon, some elements sometimes malfunction.

He also informed me that there is only a 1 year warranty on the LSS1. I think that is from Navico? I have to confirm my purchase date on the bill of sale but from memory I think I lose.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:19 am 
Walleye Catcher

Here is the link showing your product has a 2 YEAR warranty direct from Lowrance's website http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance ... x_2012.pdf

Call CMC back and ask them to replace the transducer. If you need a copy of your bill email me lawren @ radioworld . ca and I'll send you a copy over.

Mark is dead on what is happening, the left side elements are shot. Very uncommon with those transducers, but it can happen.

-Lawren

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:33 am 
Walleye Catcher

Hey MACMAN how did things work out for you with this? Did everything get taken care of?

-Lawren

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 am 
Perch

March 27 2011 was my purchase date. It is 2 months past the warranty. When I last talked to Mark at CMC, he wasn't sure if they (Lowrance) would cover it or not.

I continued to use the SS For weeks the Left was giving me the black screen. I tried constantly changing the angle on the LSS1 an wouldn't work at any angle. I tried it with my outboard out of the water thinking it may be getting interference from the skeg, but still didn't work. This past weekend however, the Left view started working intermittently while driving down lake. It would be on for a few seconds then kick off and be black screen again and continue going on and off. I made sure all my connections were tight on the box and still get the intermittent signal.

It made more sense to me when it just didn't work. Now that it works ocassionally I am unsure where the problem lies........

I took a picture of the screen and will forward it to you at your email address just to see what you think may be the problem. Sorry about all the glare as the pic isn't great but it does show what I am now seeing.

Thanks for following up Lawren.

Chris (aka Macman)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:54 am 
Walleye Catcher

You have a 2 year warranty on that transducer so if your bill of sale says March 27 2011 you're covered under warranty until March 27 2013. Mark miss informed you. Use the link I posted above if they say its only 1 year.

To me it sounds like you have a bad element in the transducer. Something may have hit the transducer and knocked the element around in there into a position where it will work again. I've seen that before.

If your right beam is working, that tells me your Ethernet cable, unit, and LSS box are all working fine. The only option left is the transducer.

-Lawren