Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:55 pm 
Perch

Hi Lawren,
looking for an onboard charger that uses my alternator power to power my house battery once my cranking battery is full by sensing the voltage on the crank battery to drop the connection between the batteries in and out?

Does the MK-2-DC do that or does is automatically parallel the batteries once a charge is present (like an isolator). What I am looking for would make sure the cranking battery is full before charging house battery then when the charge isnt available, it isolates the 2 bateries?

Does this also work in reverse and sense if a charge is present from the house battery (via onboard charger at shore) and charge crank as well, this would be similar to an ACR (automatic charging relay).

Does it connect directly between the crank and house battery using the battery terminals or is other wiring required such as to an ignition switch?

I really only require a 1 band charger (MK-1-DC) but can't find one, will this work the same if I connect both sets of output leads to the house battery?

Thanks,
Macman (aka chris)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:57 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I was trying to do some research to get a firm answer on this for you. Nothing on their website says that the cranking battery is charged first. I spoke to the Minn Kota rep and he thought it did charge the cranking battery first, then supply power to the other battery. He said he will confirm this and get back to me. I'll post here once he does.

It does require a wire going to the ignition as well.

We sell a single bank charger MIN-1821105 and it is a special order item. Give our sales team a call at 416-667-1000 and quote them that part number and they'll give you some more info on it.

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:41 am 
Perch

Thanks Lawren,
Appreciate your response. I will see what I can find out about the MIN-1821105. First indication is that it is both heavier and more expensive than the MK-2-dc but might have more to offer.

Thanks again.
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hey MACMAN Here is some info I recieved from Humminbird on this

1. The DC chargers will not output power to the deep cycle batteries (house batteries) until the cranking battery has a voltage of 13.6V. This ensures the cranking battery is fully charged or is being charged by an alternator or AC charger. And the DC chargers are isolated, so the grounds between the crank and deep cycle batteries are not common.

2. Yes, the DC charger will work with an AC charger connected to the crank battery. There is a purple ignition wire on the DC charger crank battery cable that must be connected to the ignition switch in order for the DC charger to turn on. The DC charger will continue to charge the deep cycle batteries as long as the boat engine is running and the engine driven alternator or AC charger is keeping the starting battery above 12.8 volts. The DC charger will stop charging when the crank battery drops below 12.8V. It is recommended to disconnect the DC charger if the boat engine is run more than 12 hours. Batteries that are charged for an excessive period of time can lose fluid and need to be filled.

3. The DC charger has cables to the cranking battery and deep cycle batteries, so the DC charger makes the connections internally.

4. Yes, both sets of output cables can be connected to the same deep cycle/house battery.

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 am 
Perch

Lawren,
Thanks, I was hoping you would respond. That is what I am looking for.
The MIN-1821105 turns out to be an AC charger.
I will be in touch via pm to purchase.

Thanks again,
Macman