banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lowrance HDS Touch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:12 pm 
Walleye

Just wondering if you have an order of the HDS Touch units coming in? Would like to know what the cost will be for the HDS Touch 7 and HDS Touch 9.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Lowrance HDS Touch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 pm 
Walleye Master

Those look very cool.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:12 am 
Walleye Catcher

They will be offered in a 7”, 9”, and 12” display screens. A couple of the key highlights are, built in Structure Scan, Video input (9” and 12”), new waypoint management system, Dual View charting to use Navionics and Insight mapping, and many other user interface upgrades,

The units will be able to use your existing cables so no rewiring would be required and they can be adapted to current HDS flush mount holes.

We haven’t got pricing on them yet but Lowrance says retail will be $3300 for the 12”, $2000 for the 9”, and $1600 for the 7”. The StructureScan transducer will be about $200-300 more if you’d like to add that. We may have the 7” models as soon as this month and the 9” and 12” will be here by the Boat Show in January.

The Lowrance rep was just in so if you have any other questions I’d be happy to answer them as I got the full rundown.

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:21 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Lawren. Just one more question. Will the 9M version have the Structure Scan built in or the ability to plug in and display my existing LSS module. Just trying to figure out my best configuration without having to get rid of my current equipment.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 am 
Walleye Catcher

I don't know that for sure yet, but in speaking about the current HDS units that would work. If you had a HDS5m and plug in a StructureScan it would show up. Hopefully they keep that feature with the HDS Touch units because I think the "m" models are going to be very popular for that reason. When I get firm answer I will post it here.

-Lawren

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 am 
Walleye Catcher

Just reading on Lowrance.com about the HDS9m Touch it does list StuctureMap as a feature so based on that I'd say it looks like it will work!

-Lawren

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:08 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Lawren. Will be in this fall and we can go over my configuration and determine which is the best way to go.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:39 pm 
Baitfish

Hi Lawren,

I have a couple of questions about the HDS 7 Touch. Right now I am running a Hummingbird 898 SI unit at the helm. I plan on purchasing a HDS Touch 7 and use my Hummingbird on my trolling motor.

1. Will the two units interfere with each other's sonar? I.E distort the "other units" signal?

2. Since I don't have a Lowrance unit right now, what will I have to purchase when installing the Lowrance HDS 7 Touch? Head unit + structure scan transducer? Regular transducer? Structure Scan module? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Kevin

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:26 pm 
Walleye Catcher

It is possible they will interfere with each other. Anytime you have two sonar units with similar frequencies you run the risk of interference. The nice thing is you can adjust the ping rate or change the frequency from 200kHz to 83kHz on one unit and that should eliminate the interference. Generally, you'll notice the interference on the Lowrance and not the Humminbird with a combo like that.

The HDS7 Touch will have StructureScan built in, but it will require a StructureScan transducer. They will be around $200-300. The regular transducer will come with the HDS Touch.

If you have any more questions just let me know

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 pm 
Baitfish

shepherd wrote:
Thanks Lawren. Just one more question. Will the 9M version have the Structure Scan built in or the ability to plug in and display my existing LSS module. Just trying to figure out my best configuration without having to get rid of my current equipment.

The Touch units don't need a separate LSS module to operate SS. Structure scan is built in:

http://www.lowrance.com/en-CA/Products/ ... en-ca.aspx

If you have an LSS2 module and you purchase a HDS Touch, you now have a $625 paperweight.

If I had bought the HDS Gen 2 last year and forked out an additional $625 for the LSS2 module, and then 12 months later Lowrance unveils a Touch screen unit with SS built in, I'd be a little upset.

Last edited by southfish on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:43 am 
Walleye Catcher

Quote:
If you have an LSS2 module and you purchase a HDS Touch, you now have a $625 paperweight.

Not exactly....What you can do is use the LSS-2 unit at another location. For example on the trolling motor. Then you can have a dual StructureScan set up on your boat and really take advantage of it while you are fishing.

The other thing is if you have multiple units on your boat you may still need the LSS-2 box to function as a Ethernet hub to allow sharing between the units.

Technology changes so fast and improvements are always made as new models are released. No matter what you buy the next version of it will be better and usually less expensive. You can kick yourself over things like that.

-Lawren

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 pm 
Baitfish

HI Lawren,

I just got an HDS 7 Gen2 Touch. I love it. Can I use the PPP 16i ice fishing accessory pack that Radioworld has for sale? If not, which transducer can I use for ice fishing?

Thanks

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Southfish, take care if you are using the touch screen model for icefishing. Extreme cold can impact the performance of the touch screens, similar to how it can slow down LCD unit displays. If you use a hut with a heater probably no issues, but I think that unit specifies -15C as the lowest temp for operation.

I'm sure Lawren can advise you better, but I'd consider picking up a flasher rather than take a chance of ruining a nice high end unit like the HDS 7 Gen2 Touch.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:05 pm 
Baitfish

Dog Leg,

Thanks for the advice. I have a Vexilar FL 21 Double Vision DTD flasher as well. I rent a sleeper hut in Janurary for 3 days and like having both units side by side and for my dad to look at. I might just leave it at home and use my bowmount 565 in the hut this year. I'm just being having soo much fun with the new unit on my coffee table for the last 4 days and I thought it would be fun to take it in the cabin.

Sf

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:25 am 
Walleye Catcher

You can use the PPP16i however it was meant to be used with 5" units so you will have to modify it and the unit may not properly fit in the case.

You would need the PTIWSBL transducers to use the HDS unit for ice fishing.

-Lawren

banner ad
banner ad