Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:25 pm 
Perch

Hi There,

I'm looking for suggestions of what to purchase for ice fishing in the winter, and for the boat in the summer.

I'd like a fish finder/flasher/gps combo (maps of our area with contour maps).

I was looking at purchasing an ICE 55 but then in the spring I'd have to buy another unit.

I'm looking in the $400-650 range. I have been looking at the Lowance Elite 5 Ice Machine, any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:35 am 
Walleye Catcher

The Elite5 is an awesome unit for that purpose and I would highly recommend it. Humminbird also has the 597 HD ci ICE unit which is very comparable to the Elite5 ICE with a higher resolution of 640 pixels. You can purchase a permanent mount transducer/powercable/mount for the boat in the summer with either of those units. Here is a link for the Ice 597 http://radioworld.ca/597ci-combo-p-10945.html

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:05 pm 
Perch

Thanks Lawren.

Do you mind explaining the map detail that comes with the Elite 5 and 597 HD Si right out of the box?

And I'm confused as far as the detail with the chips as well? Can chips work in either or?
I'd like contour maps for the Bay of Quinte and Trent Severn waterway mainly but some odd lakes around Belleville and north would be nice too.

Might be a good website you could recommend that has some good information to read.

Thanks for your time.

Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:21 am 
Walleye Catcher

I bought the 597 HD ci di unit from you recently and I love it! I'm interested in taking it out on the ice. I see that you can buy an ice transducer, and a soft sided portable carrying case - would that be all I need to hit the ice? Will the soft-case have a hard-plastic mounting base for the head? Spot for the battery? Do I need the XI 9 19, or 9 20? I don't see that they list the 597 as a compatible unit with those transducers?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 pm 
Walleye Catcher

The base map on both those units is very basic and you will need to buy a card for mapping detail on both units. The Elite 5 G will come with a Navionics card that has the same coverage area as the Navionics Gold 2XG card plus a little more.

The Hotmaps Premium chart seems to be the most popular one as an addition to any unit for the Bay of Quinte region. It also has the Trent and some other inland lakes. Here is a link with the lakes that are covered http://navionics.com/en/hotmaps-premium

Take a look at Navionics.com as that is your only choice for mapping on either unit.

-Lawren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm 
Walleye Catcher

TheDL wrote:
I bought the 597 HD ci di unit from you recently and I love it! I'm interested in taking it out on the ice. I see that you can buy an ice transducer, and a soft sided portable carrying case - would that be all I need to hit the ice? Will the soft-case have a hard-plastic mounting base for the head? Spot for the battery? Do I need the XI 9 19, or 9 20? I don't see that they list the 597 as a compatible unit with those transducers?

The case will not come with a base. It is just a case for a unit like a Ice35 or Ice45 flasher which come with a base, but not a case. You can get a complete portable mount kit with batter, charger, case, base, and suction cup transducer and then get an ice transducer. You would need the XI 9 20 as it lists the 597 ci as compatible http://ca.humminbird.com/products/385315/XI_9_20

-Lawren