banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:19 pm 
Guppy

Hi there, just wondering the best chip for lake ontario, usually fish from amherst island to kingston, thanx Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 am 
Walleye Catcher

The Platinum+ chart is considered the best from Navionics as it has all the features they offer. The Platinum+ has all the standard hydrographic detail you'll find on most charts plus 3D views, aerial photos, satellite overlays, etc. To run this chart you must have a compatible chartplotter like the HDS units or Humminbird 800, 900, and 1100 units.

If you are looking for the standard info without the bells and whistles of the Platinum+ take a look at the Navionics Gold chart. This will work on more chartplotters and provide you with good mapping detail.

The Hotmaps charts are very popular among anglers on the Bay of Quinte and I know it does cover some areas in Lake Ontario. When I get a chance later this afternoon I'll check and update this if your area of interest is covered.

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:08 am 
Walleye

I have a Lowrance ELITE-5 GOLD bought from RadioWorld in January this year (during ice fishing season) that comes with a "Navionics Gold" chart.

I fish most of the time on Lake Simcoe, and I found this "Navionics Gold" does not offer much of anything about this lake (not even depth?) at all.

I guess my question is, what chart would be the best to cover lakes like Lake Simcoe, Lake Scugog and Rice Lake, etc that is compatible with ELITE-5 fishfinder?

Thanks.
Wait! Sounds like I am hijacking this thread, as this is about 'Lake Ontario":-). Feel free to delete this post from me if inappropriate. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:01 am 
Walleye Catcher

Sounds like your map isn't turned on. Its easy to do on that unit. Press Menu twice and select Chart, then the first option in there is where you can select your map. Set it to "Navionics Coastal" and you should get the depths up on Simcoe and the rest of the Trent. Don't set it to "Navionics Coastal Canada" like most people do.

-Lawren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 am 
Walleye

Radioworld wrote:
Sounds like your map isn't turned on. Its easy to do on that unit. Press Menu twice and select Chart, then the first option in there is where you can select your map. Set it to "Navionics Coastal" and you should get the depths up on Simcoe and the rest of the Trent. Don't set it to "Navionics Coastal Canada" like most people do.

-Lawren

Thanks Lawren. I will check it out (on the setting you mentioned above). Now a question. What about "Navionics HotMaps Platinum - Canada 2013"? Does it offer anything better?
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:09 am 
Walleye Catcher

It does, however it will not work in that unit. The Hotmaps Premium will be similar to the Platinum but no 3D views. On the Hotmaps cards they have 1' contour line intervals on the Kawartha's and Quinte. Simcoe will be the same as what you have currently though.

-Lawren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:33 pm 
Walleye

Radioworld wrote:
It does, however it will not work in that unit. The Hotmaps Premium will be similar to the Platinum but no 3D views. On the Hotmaps cards they have 1' contour line intervals on the Kawartha's and Quinte. Simcoe will be the same as what you have currently though.

-Lawren

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:42 am 
Jumbo Perch

There is also the Navionics+

With the + you choose the region you need and it contains the Hotmap and the Gold on 1 chip, sonar chart and 1 year of free update

banner ad