Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:30 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey folks,

Wondering if anyone had a chance to run either version of this program and would provide some feedback. I'm running a SI unit so thinking of picking up Autochart Pro to do some mapping on waterbodies where there is no Navionics coverage or there is little detail. Looks interesting. Make your own charts from your sonar logs on the PC, save them back to the 32 G card and put it in the unit. No need to upload data on the web and wait for the charts to be produced.

Thanks in advance.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:19 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't have experience with auto charts so please don't take my response as any kind of a slag towards that product.

I do however have a lot of experience with Navionics and it is incredibly easy to use. Just record your logs and upload them. The turnaround is getting better and better but at around a week or so now. It may sound intimidating but its incredibly easy.

If you happen to be at the Toronto boat show tomorrow (Sunday) I'm doing a seminar on charting your own lake. I'm also doing it again Thursday and Friday this week. I plan on doing the same seminar online where you can just log into a website and participate in it.

Again, I don't mean to hijack your thread and if you feel it's a hijack send me a pm or post here and I'll remove my post. I just thought it may solve what your looking.

Here are some screen grabs after about 45 min of charting on west lake. It took about 45 seconds to download the logs to an SD card and about 2 min to upload it to Navionics. (Literally that short)

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:26 am 
Walleye Wisdom

No hijack Scott, you're always up on the latest in mapping and electronics so glad you took the time to chime in. I've been running Navionics chips of one version or another for quite some time and believe its been a huge asset. Just nearing the end of the updates period on my Premium chip and starting to do some research on mapping options going forward. I'd check out the webinar for sure and touch base if I had more questions.

I got the premium chip because it worked in both my HumminBird 899 SI and my handheld GPS. The Premium chip and Bird combo means I don't have access to sonarcharts data. I would need to get a Platinum or Updates chip to use sonarcharts.Just weighing the options of another Navionics card vs a Humminbird product that lets me create my own charts. So far the main differences seem to be:

1. sonarcharts users share data to create maps available to all users, while autocharts is done on your PC and is not shared unless the data collector shares it with another user.
2. Turnaround time to have new charts. Nav= 1 week and that's pretty darn good, and will probably only get better. Humminbird can do it in 5 min on a laptop in the boat. Probably no practical difference unless off on a remote trip exploring relatively uncharted waters.
3. Autocharts pro allows Bird users with SI to create 3d charts with colour palettes that indicate bottom hardness. I'm not aware of this available for Navionics on Humminbird units.
4. Cost. Nav updates is roughly half the cost of Autochart pro.

I'm sure the Nav Updates chip is in my future but would like to get some feedback from anyone who has used Humminbird Autocharts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:01 am 
Walleye Master

I think you're bang on with your synopsis of differences.

A third option

Vexilar sonar phone with Navionics app.
It instantaneously generates the charts, whether updating or creating on uncharted lakes.

It will automatically upload the logs to Navionics when you connect to wifi and then you'll have the charts on your chartplotter as well, but you have them on your iPhone or iPad instantaneously.

Cost of the vexilar sonar phone about the same as auto charts.

Again it's important to note I know nothing about the auto charts product and that is why I keep talking about the Navionics product. Im not trying to down play the auto charts product. I just feel the Internet is full of blow hards with a free hat that sing the praises of one product and down play everyone elses. I don't want to be that guy.

Here is a video

http://youtu.be/rFyYNBBCIFc

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

Last edited by West Lake Willows on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks Scott. More options is good, and the help to sort them out even better. 8)

banner ad