Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hi guys
I'm in the market for a bow mount trolling motor. I'll be putting it on an 18" aluminum walk through. Anyone have any suggestions on make, model and features I should be looking for?

Radio world have any sales, or floor models on special?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 am 
Perch

Anything Minn Kota with i pilot . 24volt with the 18 ft boat . Bought mine 3 years ago and love it . No problems and I can fish for two days without recharging . Mines on a 21 ft aluminum starcraft .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:19 pm 
Perch

Yes I agree with Minn Kota, I have the Terrova 80lb thrust , 24 volt with I-pilot and remote.

Moves my boat great... I see they have an auto deploy model now that you can use when launching by yourself.

Not cheap but well worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:56 pm 
Walleye Angler

I've seen the auto deploy units on TV..... They look awesome!!!!
A little out if my price range right now though.
Any one running a 55lb 12 volt?
Being that I'm mainly a troller, I don't use the bow mount all that much, but don't want to end up with a unit that is way under powered

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

My 12v. 55 lb thrust just does not cut it, under powered and Battery dies way to fast, also will have a I pilot next time
Cheers Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:32 pm 
Walleye Master

I'm in a 16'6 aluminum and have been using a 12 volt 55lb for 8 years now. I started with a Motorguide, and now have a Minn Kota with I-pilot. I can troll easily up to about 2mph give or take depending on wind. On a calmer day I can get 7-8 hours of trolling on 1 battery no problem (with both motors) I find with the I-pilot when the battery starts to get low, the GPS functions will not work, but the motor still operates. You can still troll/move around and steer though. Your boat is obviously a bit heavier than mine, but hopefully this little bit of info will help you out.

Good Luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks walleye 9
I appreciate the input. I'm leaning toward the 55lb with I-pilot as I have a gas kicker for most of my trolling needs, and really don't use the bow mount all that much. Could always wire two batteries in seres for longer run time if needed too I guess.
Still a little nervous to spend that much only to find I'm under powered....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:08 am 
Walleye

GOT2FSH if you put on the 55Lb 12 volt you will always regret not getting the 24V. Another consideration is that your boat is heavy and if you go with the smaller motor even with 2 batteries it will have to work harder all the time and reduce the life of the motor and batteries. If you go 24 volt the motor will be working at a lower power level and will last longer and also get more life out of the batteries. An 80lb Terrova with I-pilot and 2 x 27 series batteries could last for up to 2 days of use. Used one all last week. Could not get the big motor (75 Yamaha 4 stroke) to troll any lower than 2 MPH so we used the Terrova with I-pilot and maintained 1.5 MPH which was the speed we caught most of our fish. Another great feature of the I-pilot is the Autopilot function, just point it where you want it and set the speed and it will automatically follow that heading without further input. IMHO I would definatetly get the 80Lb 24v and never look back. Good luck with your decision.
Randy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Another consideration before making the decision is what units do you have for electronics? With humminbird you can connect the newer minnkotas to follow routes and go to waypoints ect. If you have lowrance hds units then the motorguide Xi5 is the compatible trolling motor to network with your lowrance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:14 am 
Walleye Master

I agree with the points made by shepherd about the motor possibly being too small for the boat, and working too hard, but if you are only going to use the motor for creeping around once in awhile, and not actually trolling, maybe the 55 would do the job. Save a few bucks too.
Just a thought....
Maybe make a few phone calls to boat dealers, and see what they have to say.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

Just noticed that u may go with the 55lb 12v, and if it dies to fast u will add a second battery in series. This will put 24v to your motor, please wire it in parallel to maintain the 12v but double the run time.
Cheers Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks always hopeful......you mean what I know. Lol always get parallel and seres mixed up, but yes it would be wired to maintain 12v (after checking and re-checking on google)

Almost hade my mind set on an 80lb 24v min Kota, till Dan through out the MotorGuide card.....I do have a Lawrence Finder/ gps

Back to the drawing board, I'm not even sure where a Motorguide dealer is located, or how the pricing compares.
But it looks like I better do some more investigation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:14 pm 
Walleye Master

Bass Pro had the new Motorguide Xi5 motors last summer. I looked at them. They are more expensive, but I've heard they are a better motor. Also check Harris Boat Works at Gores Landing on Rice Lake. They are a Motorguide dealer also.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:14 am 
Minnow

The XI5 is a fantastic motor, I love mine. I have the 55lb thrust on my 16 foot boat. It is plenty, but if I had anything bigger I would move to 24 volt. I think you will regret not spending the extra few dollars now. I troll off my bowmount constantly, you can't beat it for a quiet presentation! I don't think you can go wrong with minn Kota or motorguide, so long as you spring for the GPS model!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:41 am 
Site Admin

So, inquiring minds want to know. What did ya buy?

banner ad