banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hi guys...hoping to pick a few brains before I fork out for another bow mount Minn Kota trolling motor.
First time out with the boat fishing this year, bass opens soon. I have a Minn Kota PD70 ,24 V which I use with co-pilot or foot pedal. Bought new 2005. I know, it's old...bit like me. Anyways...seems to have developed a fault over the winter. As soon as I plug it in to the power socket, the motor continually runs for turning the shaft for steering. Just keeps running. It does this with the floor pedal disconnected too.....and the battery removed from the co pilot remote, in case the problem was there. Its getting on, and even if I can find a shop to look at it, is it worth it? Will remove the co- pilot module in case that's where the problem lies..though wishful thinking I fear. Just wondered if anyone had experienced the same issue. Thank you in advance.

Be happy, take care, enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

2005 model dang thats pretty good. I dont have any personal advice but can recommend a good Minn Kota repair shop. https://thepropshopkingston.com/services
Great Guys and if they can fix it they will.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thank Dan...reached out to them today. Seems parts for motor no longer available. Looks like a new one on the cards. If I order now, might get it 2023....:)

Be happy, take care, enjoy!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:36 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I did a quick search for trolling motors at Radioworld. It is unbelievable that they do not have one Minn Kota model in stock. Everything is Special Order only. You are probably right about 2023. That's bad news for everyone. BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:37 am 
Walleye Angler

Hi red shad. I feel your pain and am tuned in to what’s happening out there in the market. I was at the prop shop last week and talked to Jim and Tim about motors and their availability. They may be able to rebuild your old motor or put together one with parts from other motors as they have a lot of used ones that were replaced for customers under warranty and dealer didn’t want the old ones returned. Can’t hurt to look at other options if it’s going to be a while till we see new ones again! They might be able to get you on the water for now with the option to trade it in there after for fair value towards a new one once they are available?

banner ad