Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Dipsy Diver vs Lead Core
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 pm 
Baitfish

Just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are for using either a dipsy diver or lead core line. Why would you take one over the other. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:09 pm 
Walleye Master

hi Wisherman, are you referring to fishing for Eyes? I dont personally use either for eyes but have ran dipsy's for salmon. I have used leadcore before and can speak to the ease of use vs dipsy. I would imagine the benefit of a dipsy is being able to have it run out from the side of the boat. In terms of depths for eyes, most of the active fish are going to be in the 0-40 FOW column so using a dipsy isnt really necessary. Its much easier to pull in 5 colours of core than it is to pop a dipsy and crank it in to change a bait, plus if a fish hits the core you dont have to worry about it hitting a dipsy and not popping the release.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I fish Erie during the summer for walleye and our set up always includes 2 rods running Number 1 dipsey divers and 2 leadcore set ups, usually 8 and 10 colour lead core. My dipsey rods for walleye run 50 pound Power Pro, my dipseys for salmon I use wire line.

On Quinte I run 1 rod with a dipsey diver, maybe 25% of the time, usually with a spoon for the lure. I regularly run 2, 3 or 5 colour lead cores on Quinte.

My take on it is....

Dipseys:

Good because they take your line out to the side a bit to spread out your lures, without having to use in-line planer boards. As well you usually have less line out compared to say 10 colour lead core, which makes it quicker and easier to check your lines for small fish or junk. More of an issue I have found on Lake Erie, with its over abundance of small sheephead and white bass. than on Quinte. We can quickly pop the release on the braid dipseys, check the line, reset and be back fishing quick, reeling in 10 colours of lead core to check your bait takes time. Main down side to dipseys IMO is not a very "stealthy" approach for trying to get neutral or negative fish to bite, line not really far back from the boat and big plastic disk flying by just in front of your bait.

Lead Core:

Good because more of a "stealthy" approach, baits running further behind the boat, more line out. When you turn/speed up/slow down lead core line will rise up or go a bit deeper changing the action of your bait.... good for triggering strikes from fish that have been following your lure. Main down sides, lead core takes more time to reel in than dipsey lines to check your lures and slightly more chance of a tangle if you make a sharp turn the wrong way. We also seem to not get as good of a strike to hook up to land the fish ratio with lead core compared to dipseys or flatlining crankbaits.

That being said our Erie in particular some days lead core are the only rods we catch fish on and sometimes run four 10 colour lead core rods with in-line planer boards.

For Quinte this fall my plan for our 6 rod spread is 4 deep diving cranks flatlined and 2 lead core lines.

I am relatively new to Quinte trolling, but that is my 2 cents.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Personally, I think that a walleye caught on a dipsey (and also a rigger) can often come up too quick causing the air bladder to blow out.

Leadcore spans weight over a distance so it doesn't jolt your lure up and down with the same intensity as snap weights would when inline boards are surging in a big chop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:00 am 
Walleye Master

I disagree jeff. My dipsys only have 80 ft of line out and are down.less than 30 ft. Therefore they come in the boat quick rather than the stress of a longer drawn outfight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:17 am 
Walleye Wisdom

That would be the exception Mike. Most of the time guys are running them much deeper. How effective do you find them that close to the boat?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:34 am 
Walleye Master

Pete and i did very well with them near the gap. f-18s jeff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 am 
Walleye Master

I do agree though jeff. Deep riggers and dipsys arent good for the fish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:18 am 
Walleye

JimW wrote:
I fish Erie during the summer for walleye and our set up always includes 2 rods running Number 1 dipsey divers and 2 leadcore set ups, usually 8 and 10 colour lead core. My dipsey rods for walleye run 50 pound Power Pro, my dipseys for salmon I use wire line.

On Quinte I run 1 rod with a dipsey diver, maybe 25% of the time, usually with a spoon for the lure. I regularly run 2, 3 or 5 colour lead cores on Quinte.

My take on it is....

Dipseys:

Good because they take your line out to the side a bit to spread out your lures, without having to use in-line planer boards. As well you usually have less line out compared to say 10 colour lead core, which makes it quicker and easier to check your lines for small fish or junk. More of an issue I have found on Lake Erie, with its over abundance of small sheephead and white bass. than on Quinte. We can quickly pop the release on the braid dipseys, check the line, reset and be back fishing quick, reeling in 10 colours of lead core to check your bait takes time. Main down side to dipseys IMO is not a very "stealthy" approach for trying to get neutral or negative fish to bite, line not really far back from the boat and big plastic disk flying by just in front of your bait.

Lead Core:

Good because more of a "stealthy" approach, baits running further behind the boat, more line out. When you turn/speed up/slow down lead core line will rise up or go a bit deeper changing the action of your bait.... good for triggering strikes from fish that have been following your lure. Main down sides, lead core takes more time to reel in than dipsey lines to check your lures and slightly more chance of a tangle if you make a sharp turn the wrong way. We also seem to not get as good of a strike to hook up to land the fish ratio with lead core compared to dipseys or flatlining crankbaits.

That being said our Erie in particular some days lead core are the only rods we catch fish on and sometimes run four 10 colour lead core rods with in-line planer boards.

For Quinte this fall my plan for our 6 rod spread is 4 deep diving cranks flatlined and 2 lead core lines.

I am relatively new to Quinte trolling, but that is my 2 cents.

JimW

X2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:09 am 
Walleye Master

I have run both on Quinte quite extensively over the last few years. On most days the cores will out fish the divers. Like Shark said divers are easier and quicker to change baits but also quicker to target different depths. With divers you can just let line out to target a deeper depth or reel some in to fish shallower. With the cores you have to change the complete rig to achieve a different depth (unless running a chute rod) and that means a dozen extra rods in the boat. OK for biger boats but a tough deal for smaller boats.

Personally I prefer cores or copper rigs over divers.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 pm 
Baitfish

Lots of good info. Thanks guys. Wisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

What size reel is needed for a full core and 500 feet of backing?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:26 am 
Goby

Useful info on Dipsy Diver vs Lead Core here..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:36 am 
Walleye Angler

I can't think of dipsy vrs lead core... I actually think that both can be quite valuable tools to get the lure into the zone and present the bait in a way that the predator can't resist. To me the biggest difference between the two is that the divers are quicker to get into the depth and hold tight to that depth. The lead core has a lazy approach to getting to the depth and it slowly comes in and out of that depth imparting the lazy free flowing action to the bait/lure.
I don't believe it is a question of one over the other but a question of which one suits the angling situation better ?
As the day changes often times the desired presentation changes as well.
Some people chimed in with their appreciation for other systems, steel and copper lines, and they are also great tools for presenting the bait/lure.
For someone just getting started with trolling all this seems overwhelming. To that I recommend that you keep an eye out for used tackle and equipment. You can try out a new system and if you like it you can move on at a fraction of the cost.
Hopefully this may help someone who is enjoying the great outdoors
Dwayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:14 am 
Goby

I'm fairly new to the board and Just read Dwayne's post.

Was wondering if many on here fish Copper? I just started trying it on Oneida lake and Chaumont Bay a year ago. It's easier to work with but does tend to kink from time to time.

banner ad