Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: In-lines vs Big Boards
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:05 am 
Walleye Master

I have seen a few questions lately on this subject so I thought I would start this thread to address those questions.

Big Boards vs In-lines

There is a place and a time for both systems. The doubles that I use on Quinte and Lake O were built almost 40 years ago and still work well. My first in-lines were the old Yellow Birds and they are close to the same vintage. They have been retired for the newer in-lines on the market today.

In-lines are easier to use when there are multiple friends onboard because lure changing is easier. An in-line spread can be deployed quicker than the big board system. Big advantage is tighter turns can be made to get back on that pocket of active fish. They are not the best as far as I am concerned in big winds and waves over 2 feet. The in-line system is much more economical.

Big Boards are far superior in high winds and big waves. Big boards are a huge asset when fishing skinny water in the great lakes for the spooky brown and steelhead. In-lines will cast a shadow over the fish as the board precedes the lure. The big tandem boards can be a distance away from the lures that are attached to the tow line. Manufactures are now making great in-line boards that will tow long core and copper rigs. I have them but I still prefer big doubles that do a much better job getting the heavy coppers on the outside of your spread when salmon fishing.
Disadvantages are larger turns are needed to get back on the active fish. Another disadvantage is that a planner mast is needed and not something that can be easily installed on a smaller vessel. One has to keep in mind that when setting up a spread on the big board tow lines is that the lead distance out at the board will be accurate but the lines inside of that and closer to the boat will have to be compensated as there is a lot of line out of the water because the tow line is higher the closer you get to the boat. Lure changing is more difficult and time consuming.

Just my 2 cents,
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:56 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Great post Al.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:34 pm 
Baitfish

Thanks Trannyman...appreciate the info!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks Al, was hoping some of the veterans of this board would post tips here.

banner ad