Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Lead Core Techiniques
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:40 pm 
Walleye Master

I have read on a few posts lately that people have broken off lead core and had a buddy break one off a couple weeks ago. I am assuming that all were broken at core and not the leader or backing knot. I run 27 lb. core for all species. Walleye will not break off even 18 lb. core. If the lead core is breaking there is a technique problem.

When running lead core, the core has to be all in the water unless you are running a chute rod. You can not attach an in-line release to the core section. The release will fracture the lead and eventually the broken core will start to wear through the sheath and the result will be a break off. Drop weights also can not be attached to the core section, and must be attached to the leader or backing section. I prefer attaching it to the backing section just after the knot. The same with torpedo divers. It is easier to calculate running depths with the Precision Trollers Guide or the Torpedo depth chart.

On some of my core rods I have a 20 foot section of 30 pound mono between the core and the braid backing. There are two reasons for this. First is that the releases will attach better to the mono than the braid and secondly the braid fibers tend to fracture at the release with use in continuous heavy wave conditions. The fracture fibers can not be easily seen or felt, but will eventually break off. However any wear on the mono section can be easily seen or even felt by running your fingers down the line.

If I am running a core or copper down the chute and the core or copper is only partially out, I will occasionally reel some line in or let it out to let the top eyelet wear in a different place. In most cases I run quality rods with stainless eyelets on the long coppers and cores.

I have seen a few questions on the amount of backing. For walleye it is really not an issue, but 100 yds. would be enough to get your in-line out. However with salmon and trout you will need at least 700 feet or more with cores less than 6 colours. 8, 9, & 10 colours or longer 500 feet will generally get the job done.

The knots that I use are the Willis knot for the core to leader and the double-uni knot for braid backing to core.

Drag settings are just enough to keep the line from creeping out. I will adjust it later.

Maintenance is a huge plus. Each spring I either stretch out the cores and copper in the back yard and retie the joiner knots or do it on the first few trips out in the boat. Some times in the boat it gets to be a problem with all that line out and a fish hits. So bite the bullet on a nice day and do it on dry land.

Brands – I prefer Cortland because of the lighter colours. Some other manufacturers have much darker sheath colours. I just think they are too dark for the big Lake but OK for Quinte. I have yet to see a different in quality or strength.

I hope I have dealt with the more important issues,
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:12 pm 
Walleye

Good stuff Al. Thanks for the tips.

banner ad