Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:02 pm 
Walleye

Wow, great that Scott and Sheldon were there!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:40 pm 
Walleye Master

I just finished tucking my kids into bed and I snuggled them alittle tighter tonight and added a few extra kisses. Days like today make you feel lucky to be alive.

I don't deserve any praise, we did what anyone of you would have done. We were just very lucky to be in the vicinity. I saw the bow of a boat and debri in the water then realized it was 4 guys in the water. I just happened upon them. I didn't go above and beyond just consider myself lucky to have been there very soon after their accident. I don't think they had been in the water very long based on how close together the debri was and how fast the boat sank. I radioed Sheldon as we had been fishing close together and running in together so I knew he was close. We each pulled two guys aboard then transferred the guys into my cabin added a Sheldon's heater and began the run in to meet the paramedics. A big thank you to Jeff a client aboard Sheldon's boat that was a paramedic who took control of monitoring the guys condition. These guys couldn't have been luckier. To have so much help close by. Yvan Rousseau responded to offer help as did several other boats in the area. Comforting to know we are all one big family out there. I know I don't want or deserve any praise just happy to help and did what each and everyone of you would have done.

They all had float suits which made spotting them easier and kept them afloat. They were wet, cold, and scared but drove home tonight.

Let's keep it positive and lay no blame. It blew up fast and the perfect circumstances occurred to create a horrible situation. All's well that ends well. It was the final kick in the pants I needed to wear my life jacket daily. I want to snuggle my kids tomorrow night too.

Please no praise or recognition for me, there were others there to do it if I wasn't first in line. Just use it to be more safety conscious.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:19 pm 
Walleye

well said Scott and 4 people live to tell their tale... I chartered lake ont for many yrs. and first and foremost we are a community of fisherman who in time of distress just do what needs being done... my hat is off to you and Sheldon and all involved... so easy to happen, yet so tough to end on a positive note.. this time it did.. a rescue job well done by some very stand up people..
terry...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:58 pm 
Walleye Master

These guys were very lucky that you spotted them Scott. Hats off to you and Sheldon for getting them onboard and home safe to there family's. I am sure that this will be the best Christmas present they and there families will ever receive and one they will always remember. God was on the water today my friend and I am glad he got your attention. I would like to give you guys a big pat on the back weather you want it or not... Great Job and a Happy Ending......

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:03 am 
Walleye Angler

Great job Scott and Sheldon, you both do deserve the recognition and respect. Well done.

Regards,
Sam

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:56 am 
Walleye Angler

Incredible post and story .

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:15 am 
Walleye Master

Not saying this is the boat or even the case but when i came back in on thuresday i saw a tracker boat in the lot on the trailer what struck me as odd is this tracker had a 225 merc on the back I mean this was a huge motor and it actually made the boat look extreamly small. I was thinking man all that motor must really make that boat fly across the water but also thinking it has to be very heavy on the back and sit funny. now im thinking or wondering if that was the boat that went down.........i can see how easy that could happen with 4 guys in it and all that weight hanging off the back seems with the right wave coming over the back it could be swamped in a second. I dont believe a tracker is like say a ranger bass boat thats build with a flotation system in mind. I know ive seen big motors on bass riggs but never seen such a big motor on a deep V boat such as this tracker, you guys think its possible to over power a boat . or over weigh a transom to the point it could be extreamly dangerious in rough water conditions ? anyone ever hear of a tracker that comes with a 225 merc on the back that comes set up like that from the Factory ? . Just some thoughs ive had after reading this story and seeing that boat so fresh in my mind before this accident

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:44 am 
Walleye

According to the Tracker website, the maximum recommended HP on a 18FT 2014 Targa is 150 and maximum person capacity is 6.

Good work out there fellas.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:00 am 
Jumbo Perch

Great Job on the rescue, all I have to say is the conditions yesturday were unreal here in St Catharines, I woke up to a nice 11km west wind and that suddenly changed around 10am to a 40km west gale with gusts to 60km, I was amazed at how fast the conditions changed, I'm glad everyone is ok and agree the conditions changed so fast that it made for a horrible situation to have occured.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:22 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Wow close call!!!! There lucky you guys were around! Hats off to you fellas!!!

I thought i should share that I had a very nerve racking situation myself on Thursday. We were in my 21' pro-line, and left the picton harbor at 630 or so. I got out passed the bouys and near the cement plant I heard a noise come from my inboard. It was no sooner there was smoke pouring heavily out the back!! 8O When I popped the cover, I couldn't even see my motor due to all the smoke!! And there was a pile of water that came in!!! 8O

I told my buddy to grab the fire extinguishers on board and I quickly grabbed my survival suit from the front of the boat. Turned the boat off!!! Turned the bilge on and fired the kicker and headed straight back to the dock in picton.

After shitting our pants, We got back to the dock and seen Al, Griz (I think) and another fella There. Looked over my boat and realized I blew a 4"cap off the waterpump I believe which was where all the water was coming in from. There was no antifreeze left in it so I think I blew the heat exchanger! there was ice in the motor which started the whole fiasco!! After settling down and cleaning out our pants, we ended up going back out and fishing off the kicker just around the cement plant. For the rest of Thursday and Friday morning. I'm pretty sure these guys In The tracker were fishing with us between the cement plant and the ferries on Friday morning.

Just wanted everyone to know that a good time can go bad, in a matter of seconds!! Make sure your prepared. And get yourself to safety right away!!
Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:19 am 
Walleye Angler

You guys don't want it, but you guys are hero's. Their families would have been without their sons, husbands and dads today if not for you guys. I was out there too, and if our boat had to save those 4 guys they would have froze before we got them to shore. I mean we would have picked them out of the water , but we didn't have heated cabins or paramedics on board, and I looked like a glazed donut by the time I got to shore last night from being cover from water splashing over the bow.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:31 am 
Walleye Master

Sunday was the 3rd day of our trip, and after reading the wind forecast on various websites in the morning, we decided it was going to be too windy later in the morning, and packed our bags and went home. We were disappointed cause the winds were fairly light earlier in the morning, and we could've went out, but with it blowing from the west/northwest we knew it wouldn't take much to get water rolling. After reading this story, I'm glad we made the call, cause it very well could've been us. We've had some scary moments in the past with rough water, so we are very cautious now and do some research before we decide to go out.
Glad the story ended on a good note and everybody is safe.
My boat is going away for the winter, so just want to wish all you guys good luck, and be safe the remainder of the softwater season.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:59 am 
Walleye Master

Nice job men, I am glad all are safe.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

Due to recent events the Prince Edward Power squadron plans to offer a weather coarse in the new year. Most of the other squadron would do one too if they can get any interest in it. This is one of the best coarse they have and you use it every day.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:52 pm 
Guppy

Hello.
I just joined this site to say THANK YOU!
That is a buddy of mine you saved.
Geoff

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad