Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Flotation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:18 am 
Walleye Angler

I started a new thread not wanting to hijack the rescue one.

What are the flotation requirements for boats? I was under the impression that boats under 20 feet required enough flotation to support the boat, motor, and occupants in a level attitude .

On another note I know personally two people that have had their welded boats split this year. ( not tracker )

Post subject: Re: Flotation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:04 am 
Walleye Master

Here's a video I've seen before about boats taking on water and not sinking. I've seen the same video with a Princecraft boat too.

http://youtu.be/M30nDtZ4iys

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:10 pm 
Jumbo Perch

This is the 3rd Tracker I've heard of go down, one capsized on Lake Erie this year off Port Colbourne, it didn't sink to the bottom and was recovered and everyone was rescued. I'm starting to think there may be a design flaw, I'm sure they may be an alright boat, just not designed well for heavy sea's or big water.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:12 pm 
Walleye Master

just do some searching.....

you'll get your answer on tracker boats.

here's a start for ya:

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/foru ... r+%2Bboats

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

With the advent of the combination Bass / trolling boat has come the low cut out transom to give you a low profile casting platform in the back, great for back lakes, for the big water not so much , if you take a rogue wave from a following sea you can take a large amount of water over the transom and water weighs a lot , add the fact that most fishermen have added extra batteries , rod holders , downriggers and so on you have now created a very unsafe situation , Might be a good idea to decide what the main purpose of your rig will be and build on that , learning the dangers and threats from late season fishing ,,,,,well that comes from experience or maybe a power squad course , If you are not familiar with late season fishing go with someone who is , be safe out there !

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:55 pm 
Walleye Fry

I've had a Tracker Targa 2000 for 13 years and had it out in water that I would dare say most if not any of you dave ever dared to be out in. I've seen the PWT send us out on Lake Erie when it was 6 to 8 footers for starters only to get worse in the early hours of the morning. The worst I've ever seen was waves of 4 meters ( verified by the coast guard on the radio)

The reason I am still alive is because of experience and proper boat handling.

That being said…..I am not a fan of welded aluminum unless it is 1/8 inch custom plate. Most H34 H36 and H38 aluminum becomes H zero when welded.It loses most of it's flexibility which is what gives it it's durability . They still rivet airplanes for a reason. The reason they weld aluminum is to cut costs, not to make a better product.

However, I have seen a lot of guys abuse their boat extremely . It does not matter what they are made of they will break if you pound them long and hard enough.

The Bay is not to be trifled with. I can handle most anything it can put out, but when it comes to cold water I will always stay where it is most comfortable and safe.

Adolphus Reach is particularly bad and I have seen too many guys out there in boats they have no business being out there in.

Hope everyone is safe. Despite my criticisms I still hate seeing people get hurt.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

Seems like $300 for a set of Wave Whackers or Whitecaps might be a worthwhile investment

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:11 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Frank , you have years of experience and have been out with me many times ,and have seen how fast the waves can come up or switch on big water, I think that pre 1993 springbok / princecrafts had the best transom design ,most likely why you don't see many for sale, wave wackers will help reduce the amount of water but will not stop it ,for those who do not know wave wackers were designed to reduce the amount of splash and spray that can come from the transom while backtrolling which has become a lost art don't see many doing it anymore

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:46 pm 
Guppy

I too would like to know more about what is mandated for crafts 20' and under in Canada. And when it was put into place. I would like to think my boat (1998 Northstar 18.6) would stay somewhat level if full of water and not sink like a stone.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:47 pm 
Guppy

My father started looking into this too and sent me the following.

File name "Boat Standards 2004"
TP1334 - 2004 Edition
* NOTE: With the coming into force of the new Small Vessel Regulations on April 29, 2010, the 2004 edition of the Construction Standards for Small Vessels, TP1332, is replaced by the 2010 edition of the same document. The 2004 edition is provided as a reference for vessels built before April 29, 2010. For more information on the application of the Construction Standard for Small Vessels, TP1332 refer to the Small Vessel Regulations.

E-Mail: obs-bsn@tc.gc.ca
Web Site: www.boatingsafety.gc.ca

I hope this helps anyone else wondering.
Geoff

banner ad
banner ad